Hummingbird concatenation problems & general questions

I'm having some problems with Hummingbird script/css concatenation.

(1) Hummingbird doesn't seem to want to concatenate any js or css, even though I have asked it to. Why might this be? Other similar plugins (e.g. bwp-minify) are able to concatenate the files without problem.

(2) Hummingbird wasn't updating CSS after I updated underlying css files. I managed to fix it by turning everything off and resetting things, but it would be good to understand how/when Hummingbird updates things. In the past (e.g. with bwp-minify) I used my theme's version number to indicate that css has changed, and bwp-minify always respected that and rebuilt things. Does Hummingbird change the minified/concated file names on every change? I use Cloudflare, so it's important that it does that or Cloudflare will just keep serving the old version of the concatenated file.

I also have one question about how Humming bird works. It lists scripts & css which are only loaded when I am logged in. If I select concat for those files, does it mean that they will be concatenated with everything else even when the site viewer is not logged in, or does it concat logged in scripts/css separately and only load them when logged in?

Finally in the Hummingbird dashboard for minification, it states that I have 12 files, and that their combined size is 1831kb, of which 1434kb is css. Where do those numbers come from? 1.4mb of css would be somewhat ridiculous, and I don't see more than about 200kb of js and css when I look at the detailed listing of all files.

Thanks,

mark.

Sajid

Hi rowatt,
    Hope you are doing good today

(1) Hummingbird doesn't seem to want to concatenate any js or css, even though I have asked it to. Why might this be? Other similar plugins (e.g. bwp-minify) are able to concatenate the files without problem.

I am unable to replicate this issue on my own website. I could successfully merge, exclude/include and move files from header to footer and vice versa.

Your all files should be in a file created by hmmingbird thats name should like this wp-hummingbird-cache/55d2adcb23a38313cc7ac44d8dd78038.css.

(2) Hummingbird wasn't updating CSS after I updated underlying css files. I managed to fix it by turning everything off and resetting things, but it would be good to understand how/when Hummingbird updates things. In the past (e.g. with bwp-minify) I used my theme's version number to indicate that css has changed, and bwp-minify always respected that and rebuilt things. Does Hummingbird change the minified/concated file names on every change? I use Cloudflare, so it's important that it does that or Cloudflare will just keep serving the old version of the concatenated file.

You need to rebuild the file manually, no need to reset all settings just one file that needs to be updated. For example if you have changed style.css file of main theme then go to Minification, find that file in the table and select un-minify, save changes and then select minify that file so hummingbird can include the latest changes made after minification to take affect.

But, I can see hummingbird plugin creates the folder name cache so it must delete and create new files at some point. I am not sure at what frequency so I pinged the developer of this plugin to get his feedback. Either myself or developer will post a reply here as soon as possible.

I also have one question about how Humming bird works. It lists scripts & css which are only loaded when I am logged in. If I select concat for those files, does it mean that they will be concatenated with everything else even when the site viewer is not logged in, or does it concat logged in scripts/css separately and only load them when logged in?

Right now, it will compress those files along with other and keeps it the combined files even if the user is not logged in.

Finally in the Hummingbird dashboard for minification, it states that I have 12 files, and that their combined size is 1831kb, of which 1434kb is css. Where do those numbers come from? 1.4mb of css would be somewhat ridiculous, and I don't see more than about 200kb of js and css when I look at the detailed listing of all files.

Yes, this is weird and I could replicate it on my own site too. Therefore I am marking it as confirmed bug and notifying the developer so it can be patched up in coming version of this plugin.

Thanks for taking time and reporting this issue here, sending some points for appreciation

Best Regards,
    Sajid

rowatt

Thanks for getting back to me. For some reason Hummingbird now reports that it is concatenating the three header CSS files. Why did it not concatenate them initially and now with no further intervention by me (I haven't logged in since I reported originally), it is concatenating them? Also, it's still not concatenating js files in the footer (there's only one js loading in the header).

I enabled access for your support, so perhaps someone could investigate? Or am I missing something about how it's meant to work?

Is manually unminifying and reminifying a file the only way to get Hummingbird to update a cached copy? That's pretty unworkable... that means that everything any CSS is updated (e.g. from a plugin) I need to know to go in and do that? Does it not clear out its cache on a periodic basis at least?

Thanks for reporting the bug - at least it appears to be cosmetic.

Sajid

Hi rowatt,

Thanks for granting support staff access. I could login and confirm that there is no issue in your settings. For testing purposes I removed build/screen.css and build/site.js theme files from combined/merge list and it changed instantly. I could see in the page source that these files were get removed from other file and loaded individually.

Then, I combined those files again with other files that also effected almost instantly (except for JS file I have to refresh twice).

Also, I moved site.js file to footer for testing and Hummingbird moved this file in footer as well (I restored this and all other settings back to original after testing).

So, I am not sure there is any delay while building the new merge files but however there can be browser cache issue. It can load the old files, so its better to clear the browser cache or check in different browser.

Is manually unminifying and reminifying a file the only way to get Hummingbird to update a cached copy? That's pretty unworkable... that means that everything any CSS is updated (e.g. from a plugin) I need to know to go in and do that? Does it not clear out its cache on a periodic basis at least?

I am afraid, but that is the only way to update the files at the moment. Hummingbird can not detect when the file(s) are changed/updated. However, I discussed with the developer and he says that re-building the files periodically is something that is already in its to-dos list and will be added in the plugin soon. But, I am unable to give an ETA of when exactly that will be included in the plugin and release to public. Sorry!

Take care and have a nice day

Best Regards,
    Sajid

rowatt

Thanks for checking, but I don't understand how you say all files are being concatenated properly. On the homepage, there are two js files in the footer. Hummingbird shows them as separate:

And the HTML source confirms:

<script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.visitfindhorn.uk/wp-content/uploads/wp-hummingbird-cache/3ddce130becb4e37f71656158831aa4a.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.visitfindhorn.uk/wp-content/uploads/wp-hummingbird-cache/6d14e1e35576105d47abd5b3cb3b82f7.js'></script>

If I go to another page (e.g. https://www.visitfindhorn.uk/contact/) most css and js files aren't concatenated at all.

So it doesn't seem to be working well at all, or am I missing something about how Hummingbird is supposed to work?

Thanks,

mark.

Sajid

Hi rowatt,

This is how Hummingbird works. It splits and divide the code into two (or multiple) files when it exceeds the size for better performance. This way browser does not have to keep loading one file.

In the contact page, I can see the same thing, there are two JS files combined by multiple files together in header and two in footer.

Also, same with CSS, there is only one combined file that is being loaded on contact us page.

Hope that helps! Feel free to post a reply if you need further assistance

Best Regards,
    Sajid

rowatt

Thanks for getting back to me.

I still don't understand... looking at the home page, there are two js files in the footer which Hummingbird is processing but not concatenating. One is 6.6k, the other is 1.4k. Are those files too big to concatenate?

<script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.visitfindhorn.uk/wp-content/uploads/wp-hummingbird-cache/3ddce130becb4e37f71656158831aa4a.js'></script>
    <script type='text/javascript' src='https://www.visitfindhorn.uk/wp-content/uploads/wp-hummingbird-cache/6d14e1e35576105d47abd5b3cb3b82f7.js'></script>

Is there documentation somewhere which describes exactly what and when Hummingbird concatenates files? Right now it feels like I'm shooting in the dark which isn't really what I want for a production site.

Thanks,

mark.

Sajid

Hi rowatt,

I contacted the developer to know how exactly Hummingbird decides to or not to merge files. I am just quoting it here so you can understand easily.

both cached files have totally different files

yes, because HB needs to make distinctions on files depending on the attributes they have or site will get broken

some of the files cannot be just merged

for instance: When they have a different media attribute or RTL attribute, a conditional (for IE normally) or a different suffix

there are a good bunch of reasons to not merge files together

Right now there is no documentation available explaining the technical details how exactly Hummingbird plugin splits the files. But this is a good point and I will flag the usage writer as well so we can add this type of detail to make it further clear.

Take a very good care of yourself and have a nice day

Best Regards,
    Sajid