Hummingbird conflicts with Instagram plugin

Enabling Minification in Hummingbird breaks the Instagram feed display generated by the WD Instagram Feed plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wd-instagram-feed/

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andrew,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I noticed that there's an error in the console on your site (on "instagram feed" page). I have then installed the plugin on my test setup and run some more tests. It's actually a bit surprising but I was able to fully replicate the issue and the error:

- if minification is fully disabled, the feed works
    - if it's enabled then even though "minify" and "combine" options are disabled for all possible files (not only directly related to the plugin), the error shows up and the feed page breaks.

It looks like there's "something behind the scenes" that we're not able to pinpoint so I"m calling our 2nd-line support team for help and they'll examine it.

Stay tuned please for further information.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Mahlamusa

Hello Andrew,

I hope you are doing great today and thank you for reporting this and for your patience. I have tried so do some tests and see which combination of settings are favorable for this the two plugins to work together.

I have noticed a few things here:

1. If you choose to "Minify" and "Combine" evrything without the move to "Footer" option, then everything works fine without the conflict. But in this case, you have to save your settings and reload your home page a couple of times for Hummingbird to minify and combine the scripts, if the process is not complete then the Instagram Feed WD plugin will not render the feed.

In the screenshot, everything is minified and combined but not moved to footer (Instagram Feed WD works fine):

2. If I chose "Minify", "Combine" and move to "Footer" then save and "RE_CHECK FILES", then I noticed that a few files are skipped depending on the theme being used, this depends on the theme like in Twenty Sixteen, the CSS file "twentysixteen-fonts" was ignored and JS file "comments-reply" not moved to footer. After refreshing the hope page a few times and checked that the are no pending results, I found that the Instagram Feed WD was rendering the feed correctly.

So, it seems to me the feed is rendered correctly but only if Hummingbird has finished working with the files, this means no "Pending" status next to the files especially those related to "Instagram Feed WD", they are prefixed with "wdi_".

I suggest you try again to activate Hummingbird and do the minify and other settings as you wish but then make sure that there are no pending file changes. If you see "Pending" on the minify page then visit your home page at least twice and check again, and or click the "RE-CHECK FILES" button especially if you changed your theme. This will force Humming bird to re-scan your files and remove any files from a previously activated theme or plugin to make sure it loads only files from your active theme and plugins.

If Hummingbird skips or ignores some files, don't force it to combine or move them to footer otherwise your page will break.

I hope this helps. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. If you still can't get it to work, please grant support access and tell me which settings you prefer and I will login and test then finally make recommendations.

Have a nice day.
    Mahlamusa

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andrew,

I had a look at your site and applied the changes that Paul mentioned above and that actually took care of the previous issue that was shown in console but now the jquery.mobile.js file was throwing an error in console and that stopped your instagram feed to load so I've excluded that file from minification and your page is loading properly now.

Can you check it out and confirm that it works for you as well?

Best regards,
    Predrag