[Hummingbird] Do I need Hummingbird if I'm behind a CDN like Cloudflare?

We've had hummingbird enabled since the beginning of our site, but recently we've gotten a bit more serious about our use of CDN. We're using Cloudflare for Business which, if I'm reading everything correctly, seems to do everything that Hummingbird does. We're caching "Everything" which means HTML too, and practically 100% of our site is being served from the cloudflare servers when that rule is enabled. We bypass cache on cookie, so logged in users.

Is there any benefit to running both of these? Is there any harm? My scores don't change one way or the other on optimization sites like GTMetrix, so I'd rather remove an unnecessary plugin if it's an opportunity to do so.

• James Morris

Hello blue

I hope you are well today.

Hummingbird does more than asset optimization. There's the main feature of CSS / JS compression and optimization, but there's also the relocation and deferring of scripts which directly affects the page rendering.

Moreover, there's the full-page caching (which would be comparable to Cloudflare) but also the Gravatar Caching and Gzip compression.

If Cloudflare does all of the above, then no, there's no need to run both.

I can tell you though, that running like features on both will likely cause issues.

The best course of action is to take a baseline measurement of your site with Hummingbird and Cloudflare activated. Then, disable Hummingbird entirely and clear all Cloudflare cache for the site. Browse some pages to get the cache on Cloudflare regenerated and then test on GTMetrix again. If the score doesn't drop, then Cloudflare is enough and you can leave it as is. If the score drops, then Hummingbird is doing more than what Cloudflare can do alone.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.