[Hummingbird] Error: Gzip is not working properly, may not have the "deflate" module ena

When I try to activate Gzip, I get the following error:
Gzip is not working properly:
- Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX).
- Contact your host. If deflate is enabled, ask why all .htaccess or nginx.conf compression rules are not being applied.
If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us.

I contacted the host (Hostinger) who confirmed that all those modules mentioned are indeed installed but suggested that there is probably a plugin incompatibility responsible for this. I disabled many of them but found that this is an exercise of futility as I would have to do this on tens of websites. I rather dump Hummngbird (which gives me countless errors, anyway and is responsible for most of my website crashes and its minify functionality just doesn't work with the Enfold theme, full stop. Unless you spend hours and hours trying to tweak it) than spend hours to find the offending plugin.

But maybe you can?

I have granted support access to the site.
Thanks in advance.

• jdcogmon

I am having the same problem. I am using the DIVI theme from Elegantthemes.com
    I am starting to come to my end with Hummingbird and its clumsy compadre Smush Pro. There are no options for a graphics driven estore to ensure that you can smush your images but also give you the opportunity to select your level of "smush."
    I won't even go into the heavy tortoise that is "Smart Crawl." apparently it can distinguish short codes from copy and penalizes you if it cannot distinguish markup from your themes CSS from copy that is "hard to understand." You guys overall are doing a great job but I need to mention these blunders. I mention the blunders not to disrespect you but to bring it to your attention so that perhaps it will be integrated in the next round or two of anticipated updates.
    This post's keywords are "hummingbird" and "Apache Module."
    "Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled," is what i am reading on my dashboard. Also I had a 91 at pingdom.com but after I added hummingbird and Smush, I now have an 82.
    WTH?
    Again, you guys are great, just starting to feel like an ignored child.
    I will go back to yoast or SEO ultimate. I just figured since I pay through the nose each month, I should probably use your products in everything. But I may need to re-think this policy if the products are not quite ready for prime time.
    Signed,
    I want to stay, but I also want SEO optimized, quickly loading websites with options for better image quality control.

• Patrick Freitas

Hi jdcogmon

Sorry to hear that you are having problem, the developer are working on Hummingbird issue.

I can see that you have some features to propose and left important points on the reply, I understand that is can be frustrating but we are listening to our customer and improving the service each release.

I would suggest to open a new ticket for a feature request and we can assign the developer, and the points can be considered on the future.

Let us know for any further question.
    Have a great day
    Best Regards,
    Patrick Freitas

• GreenTiger

I thought Hummingbird and Smush was going to be the perfect match to help optimize a Photographer's website that I just started building. I, too, use Divi pretty much exclusively. I just lost over 2 1/2 hours of time trying to resolve the GZIP deflate module error. Of course, I was blaming it on HostGator... because they can be pretty lousy. I do have a VPS with them and their support reassured me everything was okie dokie on their side. In 10 seconds on wpmu support chat, I am told there is a known bug in Hummingbird that produces that false error. Huh?

I had seen the post above, but somehow didn't quite comprehend that it is pretty much a bogus error and that gzip really is working fine.

I'm not a brilliant IT person... and have depended on WPMU to provide the type of plugins that even wannabe's like me can use. I hold WPMU talent in very high regard.... can't we commit the resources to get this type of problem resolved quickly????

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.