[Hummingbird] False alarms from Hummingbird Uptime monitor

Hello,
I\'ve been getting many false positive alarms from Hummingbird Uptime monitor for many websites. I recommend hummingbird wait longer to trigger an alarm.

For example, I received a notification that wild10.org was down and then got another notification within seconds that it was back up.
I got about 8 false positive emails this weekend, which is ridiculous. If you can\'t fix this, I\'ll have to find an alternative monitoring solution.

• James Morris

Hello Brian,

I hope you are well today.

Usually, when you're getting results like this, there is a slow node or network causing Uptime to timeout. Or, your server may have been under a higher load causing slow response. So, while you may see your site up, it's possible our servers see it as down.

However, your concern is noted and I've flagged this ticket as a Feature Request for our Dev Team to look into further.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Brian,

After consulting with our Dev Team further on this issue, I was given the following feedback:

Uptime checks 2 geographical regions for site uptime to ensure that no single node interruption can cause false positives. So, if Uptime is reporting your site is down, it's down in more than one location. If you would like to verify the accuracy of Uptime, you can run it in parallel with another service such as Pingdom or Uptime Robot, you should find that if our service is showing your site as down, the others will as well.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello Brian,

There currently is a couple minute delay already in place.

Your point is understandable; however, I offer this counterpoint...

Many of our clients have mission-critical sites. Some of these sites would lose profit in the hundreds to thousands in the event of a few moments of downtime. So, the balancing act we have to achieve here is providing a service that offers expedient reporting of downtime for mission-critical sites, while not being too difficult to configure and not too annoying. Not an easy thing to juggle.

Most mail clients allow you to setup filters for different types of emails based on subject or sender. In this situation, I would recommend setting up a filter on your email client to reduce the annoyance for you.

Also, I would definitely recommend taking the histrograph of your Uptime to your host and discussing with them why your site keeps going down so frequently. If you are seeing less than 99% uptime, most hosts will look into your account to diagnose why there is the service interruptions.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.