hummingbird getting it all wrong

Hi My site was loading super slow. I installed smuch pro and smushed all images, but was still getting a super slow site. gtmetrix said it was taking over 8 sec. I was hesitiant to start cacheing since I am still developing site, but I figured I would install hummingbird just to see my score and enable some of the non cacheing features. Anyway in the screeenshot below, you can see the plugin is messed up. It says I have not optimzied images, but have done everything else. I have not enabled any of the other features on the plugin, I've only smushed images, but the test is saying just the oppisite. Please tell me what's going on, why my site is so slow and how I can fix it. thanks!
Here is the screenshot
http://kungfuadvertising.com/rm/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Sketch-wpmu.png

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Jonathan,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Based on the screenshot you attached I can see that the issue is with the image optimization so I run your site on Google Page Speed test and can see what's causing this.

Google page speed test has two reports for image optimization.
    ?1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what WP Smush does.
    ?2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading thumbnails larger than the HTML holder.
    For example, on "In case you’re wondering…" section the image size is 4288x2848 pixels but the actual HTML holder of that image is 1905x913 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jonathan

Hi,
    So a few things:
    1) You did not address the rest of the plugins issues. Hummingbird gave me near 100 on all other categories even through I still have not enabled a single one of them. It seems like a bug, is that correct?
    2) I don't think you are correct as to why the site is slow. I use this theme (and so do over 100,000 of devs) and have never had a speed problem. I've never heard of divi causing speed problems and non of my other sites using the them (well over 25) have never had any speed issues. In addition, I resmushed the images and this time included the originals and resize them, in order to avoid the problem of loading a bigger image. The website is still loading super slow so it does not seem like you are correct.
    3) Another point which makes me think you are wrong and there is another issues besides for the images is when I ran the same test on tools.pingdom.com is showed that the primary issue was "Parallelize downloads across hostnames," not that I know what that is.

Please let me know what I can do to speed up my site, thank you very much!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jonathan,

1) You did not address the rest of the plugins issues. Hummingbird gave me near 100 on all other categories even through I still have not enabled a single one of them. It seems like a bug, is that correct?

Humminbird enables you to active certain speed up settings that server can also manually enable in their settings, so it doesn't mean that there's a bug in HB, it's possible that some of the optimization options are turned on by default.

2) I don't think you are correct as to why the site is slow. I use this theme (and so do over 100,000 of devs) and have never had a speed problem. I've never heard of divi causing speed problems and non of my other sites using the them (well over 25) have never had any speed issues. In addition, I resmushed the images and this time included the originals and resize them, in order to avoid the problem of loading a bigger image. The website is still loading super slow so it does not seem like you are correct.

It doesn't mean it's the theme itself, it could be because of the content used, for example, image files on your page take more than 16MB and there are videos as well so it does take long time to process that much data from a single page.

3) Another point which makes me think you are wrong and there is another issues besides for the images is when I ran the same test on tools.pingdom.com is showed that the primary issue was "Parallelize downloads across hostnames," not that I know what that is.

This should be related to removing render blocking resources and I would like to have a closer look at HB report if you could enable support access to your site.
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jonathan,

I had couple of more test on pingdom tools and google page speed test and comparing those two it seems that most noticeable issue after image optimization is leverage browser caching and I can see that this is disabled on your site.

Can you go to Hummingbird > Browser caching and follow instructions from there to enable browser caching and run the HB performance test again to see if it makes any difference after that?

I've also forwarded all the info to plugin developer so he can have a look at it in the meantime and we could hear his thoughts on this.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Jonathan

I don't want to do that since I am still developing the site. Anyway I think my host has it's own chaching system caz even when I tried to turn it on, it would not let me and says I have to add code to my server, which I will do once the site is done.

You didnt really address the fact that I used smush to resiz all the images so it should not be pulling those large ones anymore and I still did not see an increase in speed.

Lastly, something about the plugin is messing up the look of the site, there is extra margins everywhere and one section is missing it's content with the background image blown way up. So I'm going to have to disable the plugin for now. I made a staging site for you to continue testing or for the plugin dev to look at or whatever. Here is the URL and the login and token should be copied over: http://staging2.kungfuadvertising.com/rm/

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jonathan,

I don't see your staging site listed in your registered domains with us, can you make sure WPMU DEV Dashboard is installed and configured on that site and grant us support access?

About the images, there are still some huge images on your home page, header and menu images combined have over 3MB, the background image of section below video is 6MB, this is really big and resource consuming.

I would like to check smushing results on your staging site after you grant support access.

Lastly, something about the plugin is messing up the look of the site, there is extra margins everywhere and one section is missing it's content with the background image blown way up.

Did this started happening when you enabled minification in HB?
    If yes try excluding some files from minification since not all files handle minification well and can cause such issues because of that.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.