Hummingbird gives poor score after super smush

I was wondering why my page speed score went lower after I added Hummingbird (went through the steps) and WP Smushed all the images?
Seems like the opposite effect? I have smushed a lot of images, but Hummingbird only added two points.

Luís

Hi Foodesign ,

Hope you're doing well today!

I gave a look on the site where you have the support access enabled and seems the issue is related to the "full sized" images.

When you upload an image to your site, WordPress crops and resizes it to create the thumbnails. By default, Smush only compresses these thumbnails, not your original full-size image. To include the "full sized" images, you will need to enable the option "Include my original full-size images " in the Smush settings (Media -> WP Smush).

Also, Hummingbird is reporting two images that are outside the media folder (wp-content/uploads), so, these images are not included in the smush process.

You will need to include these folders to the smush process, so it can optimize them:

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís

Luís

Hi Foodesign ,

Hope you're doing well today!

1) I made a new scan in Google Page speed and now, you are just getting one recommendation for the "Optimize images" section and it's related to an external image, so, WP Smush will not be able to access to it:

https://cmap.amp.vg..................

Regarding to the note in the option "Include my original full-size images " of WP Smush settings:

WordPress crops and resizes every image you upload for embedding on your site. By default, Smush only compresses these cropped and resized images, not your original full-size images. To save space on your server, activate this setting to smush your original images, too. Note: This doesn’t usually improve page speed.

Usually, this action will not improve your page speed, because usually, you will not use the "full sized" images in your site, you will use the thumbnails generated, so, it will just save space in your server in this case. However, if you are using the "full sized" images it will help on the page speed.

2) Based on the scan I made, you are getting recommendations for "Defer parsing of JavaScript" and "Leverage browser caching" and these ones are maybe the culprits to the "slown down" of your website.

Defer parsing of JavaScript

To improve this section, I will suggest to give a look into the Minification section of Hummingbird and try move the most of the files possible to the footer using the "Position" option.

I mentioned all the most files possible, because some of the them may not work well when moved to the footer, so, you will tweak and test in order to find the best configuration possible. This can be a time consuming task, but, unfortunately, there is no other way.

Leverage browser caching

The recommendations for this section are related to external resources, so, you don't have control over them, as an example: "google-analytics.com/analytics.js".

I hope this information has been helpful. If I can help you in this or other questions, please let me know!

Cheers, Luís