Hummingbird / GZIP-Compression ist not working properly

Hi,

configuration of hummingbird / GZIP-compression is not working properly:

"gzip is not working properly:
- Your server may not have the "deflate" module enabled (mod_deflate for Apache, ngx_http_gzip_module for NGINX)
- Another plugin may be interfering with the configuration
If re-checking and restarting does not resolve, please check with your host or open a support ticket with us."

My host did all the suggested changes, but it still doesn´t work.

Can you help please?

Thanks
Andre

• Predrag Dubajic

Hey Andre,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Since two out of three compressions are enabled it looks like the "deflate" module is indeed enabled on your server, so next thing we should check is if your .htaccess file is updated correctly.

Can you go to Hummingbird > GZIP Compression panel and on right site click on "Want to do it manually?" link which will expand required .htaccess code so you can compare it to your current .htaccess file and make sure that entire code is added properly.

If that's configured correctly as well can you get in touch with your hosting provider again and ask them if they allow javascript compression to be enabled via .htaccess rules, because some servers are blocking these changes.

Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andre,

I had another look at your site and tried disabling GZIP compression completely from Hummingbird, and even after that compressions rules didn't change.
    It seems like HB doesn't have control over that whatsoever and this usually means that there are predefined rules on server side.

I'm not trying to push the ball in their court but based on the information I see in HB I would suggest asking them to check the server settings that are enabling HTML and CSS compression and see why JS is not included there as well.

As you can see from below screenshot GZIP is disabled but HTML and CSS compression is still Enabled:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.