Hummingbird GZIP htaccess code fails

The Hummingbird htaccess rules fail to activate GZIP on my site.

mod_deflate is installed and working fine with my simplified htaccess rules as below

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/text text/html text/plain text/xml text/css application/x-javascript application/javascript
</IfModule>

The root of the site is behind a user/password combo at present - removing this shows GZIP working with my htaccess rules but Hummingbird fails.

Please advise why Hummingbird rules do not work

Thanks

• Dimitris

Hey there joe,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Could you please contact your hosting provider about this? You can ask them to check the following for you:

- double check that "mod_deflate" module is up and running, it should support at least "text/html", "text/javascript" and "text/css"

- check if there's a Varnish cache running on server (or any other server-side caching solution) and make sure to purge/empty it

- make sure that PHP is configured to support zlib library and that "zlib output" support is enabled; there's a php.ini setting for this that should be set to "on":
    zlib.output_compression = On
    In case it's set to "off" you will want to change it to "on" and restart Apache

Looking forward for your feedback on this!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Joe!

I see that the site is now again protected. I understand that with your rules in .htaccess the gzip compression works so I'd just like to make sure whether it's actually an issue of Hummingbird rules not working or Hummingbird gzip compression check giving wrong results.

Hummingbird is accessing the site like it was an external tool in order to check compression. If the site is initially redirected or protected and it cannot access it, it may report compression as not working even though it actually is working.

Have you tried to remove your rules, remove protection and any possible redirects (like from "www" to "no-www" and similar), then use Hummingbird's code and check that? I'm asking that oinly to make sure whether we are chasing the real issue here and to eliminate possible "disruptions", I hope that makes sense :slight_smile:

Let me know please!

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.