[Hummingbird] Hummingbird + 404's

I just noticed a ton of 404 errors for CSS/JS files that seem to be created by Hummingbird minification, https://screencast.com/t/ryj1ARuhjsM. Why is that happening? Doesn't that mean that people are getting a messed up version of the site if the CSS file they have cached no longer exists???

• James Morris

Hello Philip

I hope you are well today.

The symptom you are seeing is most likely related to Browser Caching. I've checked your site and the debug console and there are no 404 responses for such resources being generated.

The way Browser Caching works is these resources are cached locally on the member. Each time the browser (visitor) visits the site their browser checks for the URL of the cached resource to see if it has been updated, depending on the max-age header that is set. Since these files have random string names generated whenever you make changes to your assets in Hummingbird, these file names are not static. Each time you optimize your assets, new file names will be generated.

So, when a visitor comes back after you've re-optimized your assets, if they had a previous version cached, their browser will check for a newer version of the asset. Since it does not exist, a 404 hit will be generated and their cache will be updated with the newest URL of the asset.

This will not affect the usability of the site for the end-user. It's all done behind the scenes and very quickly.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.