[Hummingbird] Hummingbird minification

Hello Everyone,

I have this issue with a number of my websites since migrating from various cache plug-ins to Hummingbird.
It seems that the pages do not render properly when minified and was hoping someone else had this problem and was able to rectify it.
This issue does not happen all the time though, but it happens some websites weekly while others monthly.
One interesting point to note is that the Gzip compression is not working for html, works fine for css and js though. Might it be related?
Thank you for your help,
Reagrds,
-Dave

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave,

I hope you're well today!

Do I correctly understand that once you set everything up (Asset Optimization, Page Caching) the site is working fine and then it breaks after some time "on its own", without any changes to these settings being made?

If yes, that would suggest some caching/optimization conflict with some other tool, may it be some other plugin, a theme built-in tool or some server-side tool. I would like to take a closer look at the site setup then. Would you mind enabling support access for me so I could do this?

You can enable it by going to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in site's back-end and clicking on "Grant Support Access" button there.

Also, is there any server-side cache enabled and where are you hosting the site now?

Let me know, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dave

Hello Adam,

Yes I can grant support access. I will do right after I send this message.

Yes you're right that this happens on it's own without any further configurations. Usually from a customer calling in about the issue or when I do weekly check-ups on the effected websites.

All of our websites are on shared hosting with the same provider. But only some are showing this issue, other websites use a range of cache plug-ins. Super cache, total cache, fastest cache, the aim was to move them all to Hummingbird but I need to sort this issue first.

I'm not sure if there's cache on the server side, would you mind explaining how to check?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dave,

Thank you for your response.

Usually, if there's some server-side cache, you should be able to see some "cache" or "performance optimization" options in cPanel (or other kind of server management panel that your host provided you with). I'd start looking into that and if there are any caches there, try disabling them for now.

If you don't see any cache related options there, the only way to find out would be to get in touch with host's tech support and ask them if there is any caching/optimization solution applied, what is it and if it can be disabled (if yes, ask them to disable it for the domain, please).

I think that's a thing to start with.

Also, since all the sites hosted with the same provider (I assume that either on the very same shared account or on account with the same parameters), I'm wondering what - apart of Hummingbird itself - would be the "common" thing for affected sites. Are they all, by any chance using Avada theme? If not, is there anything "common" that comes to your mind? Also, are there any Hummingbird-powered sites of yours there that actually do not suffer from the issue?

I'm asking because in cases like this, it's always helpful to identify some "pattern" if possible :slight_smile:

Looking forward to your reply,
    Adam

• Dave

Thank you for the swift reply Adam,

I am in contact with my hosting provider too, I'll ask about the cache thing when they reply next.

Yes, all of the sites use the Avada theme. All of the sites that use other cache plug-ins also use the Avada theme. We keep the Avada theme up to date regularly.

There are a number of sites that use Hummingbird that does not experience these issues that are also on the Avada theme with the same hosting provider on the same plan. I can provide links to these sites if needed?

The sites affected were built at different times with different developers using the same tech stack and the same processes. All of our sites use the same versions of PHP, the same versions of mySQL and are updated at the same time to the same versions.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello @software98207!

Yes, I think that checking other sites might be a good idea too. It would be great if you could actually provide me with an access to all those affected and some that are not affected (a WPMU DEV support access would suffice for now) along with a list indicating which ones are and which ones are not experiencing the issue.

Note: please do not post any access credentials (logins, passwords) here; a WPMU DEV Support access via WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin will do :slight_smile:

Let me also know about your host's response on those optimization/caching aspects, please.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.