[Hummingbird] Hummingbird Minification and HTTP/2

The Hummingbird manual says the following
-----------
If your Minification page does not contain the Combine option this means that the Combine option is disabled because your server has HTTP/2 activated. HTTP/2 automatically optimizes the delivery of assets for you
------------------
I have HTTP/2 activated, but Hummingbird also shows me Combine options.
Does this mean Hummingbird is incorrectly reading the situation, or is my implementation of HTTP/2 incorrrect?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Joe,

Hope all is well.

Hmm, I had a look a one of my test installations with HTTP/2 enabled and combine is properly disabled for me there.
    Would you mind allowing support access so we can have a closer look at this on your end?
    To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please respond in this ticket once access is granted.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello joe

Thank you for enabling support access.

I have checked your site and noticed that while both WPMU DEV Dashboard and Hummingbird plugins identify Apache as a webserver, from outside it looks like the site is powered by Nginx.

That usually means that there's either a CDN implemented for site or that the server is actually using them both (most often configuration is Apache directly serving the site with Nginx used as a sort of proxy/load-balancing server in front of it).

Both these cases might affect how the site works and/or how Hummingbird detects HTTP/2. For example, if there's a CDN it might be that the CDN does support HTTP/2 and actually provides full benefits of it on a "section of a road" from user browser to the CDN network (from where the assets are being served) while between CDN and the actual server there might be no support. That's, however, just one of the options and it's also possible that due to server configuration Hummingbird is not detecting it properly.

Since you have granted a support access, I took an initial look at the site but I'd also like to ask you if you know whether the server configuration is like mentioned above (apache + nginx in front of it) or - if there's a CDN is this some solution provided by your host (I couldn't see any well known CDN via traceroute command but it might be under some custom host domain)?

Let me know please,
    Kind regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Joe,

It seems that the issue here is indeed that the HB is unable to read the setup properly due to both Apache and NGINX being used.
    However, this shouldn't make any issues with how the plugin works, combine will be handled by HTTP/2 so even if the option to combine files is available it will not make much difference if you use it due to HTTP/2 will be doing its job.

Long story short, you pretty much can't go wrong here, enabling combine for your files will not show difference in pagespeed but it will also not break anything so you're good to go either way :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.