[Hummingbird] Hummingbird Pro and WP Smush Pro Are Not Working Together

Hummingbird keeps reporting that my images are not properly optimized, but when I go to WP Smush, it says that all the images are fully optmized. Is this a Hummingbird error?

• Oguz

Hey CK Fusion ,

Hope you're well.

The Hummingbird report not only says compress but also resize the images;

That means your theme not resizing the images accordingly usage on the page. Smush can't resize your images (unless you resize full-size images) according to usage on the page because can't know how your theme using it. So your theme should do resizing correctly.

You can talk with theme support about that or you should resize the images yourself before uploading. If your theme uses your image in page 300x300 then you should upload the image as 300x300.

Cheers,
    Oguz

• CK Fusion

Hi there,

I’ve noticed that the images are sized to a good standard for the theme and the web. At around 1500px wide for the hero images and an average size of 150kb. Is that still considered too big so that the plugin keeps marking it as a warning?

I checked the theme’s demo in the developer’s website and the images he uses are about the same size. And I noticed that it’s mainly these images that Hummingbird keeps pointing out to resize.

Please let me know your opinion or if the plugin is not labelling them right.

Thank you

• Dimitris

Hello there,

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

What HummingBird (and also other pagespeed tools) refers to, is this one:

As you can see, theme is loading an image with dimensions of 1560*1180px inside a container which is 595*450px, so image is getting scaled down.

You can re-scale your images (or even crop them) into the desired dimensions, here's how:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

But if the same 1560*1180px image size is being used in another place/template in the theme, then you should better duplicate them, rescale the duplicated copy and use that in homepage.
    If this isn't possible by theme design, then you should contact theme developer and ask him for a workaround in order to load proper image sizes in these slides in homepage. :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• CK Fusion

Hi there,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I contacted the theme developer and here is his response:

"The default size of the images that is loaded on the slider is 780×590, but you are getting images that have twice this size. Why? Because the theme is detecting all screens as a retina screen. I don’t have this issue with other users so there must be a conflict with a plugin on your installation.
    The theme serves 780×590 images, because on certain screen sizes you will need images close to 780 pixels wide."

Could it be possible that Hummingbird is not noticing the difference of when the theme serves a retina display image and a regular image? Or is the theme developer correct in that there is probably a conflict with a plugin in my installation that always causes the images to show the retina display image?

Thank you

• Nahid

Hey CK Fusion !
    Hope you are having a great day!

Could it be possible that Hummingbird is not noticing the difference of when the theme serves a retina display image and a regular image?

Not really, Hummingbird (and other PageSpeed tools) determines the images and their sizes as they are served in the webpage and compares them with their containers in real time.

So, it seems like the theme authors are correct as they discovered that the theme is detecting all screens as a retina screen. There is a high possibility that it could be a conflict between a plugin and your theme within your site. In this case, I'll also recommend you to initiate a plugin conflict test to determine what the culprit is. This handy flowchart can help you run a plugin conflict test.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Kind regards,
    Nahid

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.