[Hummingbird] Hummingbird Pro (GZIP config)

When installing the .htaccess code provided in the hummingbird pro plugin the text/html gzip will not configure. please help.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Charles

I hope you're fine today!

I checked the site and it's only HTML content (which actually means - in general - HTML code of the site) - is not compressed. Both JS and CSS resources are compressed. This would mean that the gzip compression itself is working on a server but for some reason only certain mime types are not compressed.

Usually that also points directly to the server configuration as gzip compression is not something that's applied to the content "on the fly" by PHP scripts (so a plugin) but something enabled by the webserver (Apache in this case). What Hummingbird helps you to do is to enable and configure it.

Taking into account that the code was added to .htaccess and that both JS and CSS resources are gzip-compressed, could you please get in touch with your host tech support and ask them about Apache/mod_deflate configuration?

First question would be if it's "fixed" config or if it allows you to configure it via .htaccess? And the second one would be whether it's setup to support following mime types:

"text/html"
    "text/plain"
    "text/xml"

Could you ask them about this please and let me know about their answer?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Charles,

I tested your site GZIP compression and see that there's no change when GZIP is enabled or disabled in Hummingbird, in both cases, it's inactive for HTML and active for JS and CSS.
    This usually means that your GZIP settings are preconfigured on your server and it's not allowing to be changed by using .htaccess rules.

You should get in touch with your hosting provider and ask them to enable GZIP for HTML as well, or at least allow this change to be applied via .htaccess.

Let us know how it goes.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.