[Hummingbird] Hummingbird Pro says I need to optimize images but Smush pro says all images are ok

Hi, My Hummingbird Pro report says I need to optimze images, but when I click in Smush Pro, it says that all images are optimized. What do I need to do?

thank you.

• Laurent
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Ash,

No, the cache is disabled. I also tried with another browser were I delete everything on exit and the problem is the same. Can you please access the site and take a look? the support access is enabled.

Thank you.

• Kris
    • Support

Hi Laurent

Thank you for your support access.

Hummingbird has two reports for image optimization.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized, that's what smushing takes care of and there are no such reports on your site.

2. Compressing and resizing - This tells us that image is larger than its actual HTML holder.

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example helene_laffitte_NB_1000px.jpg is a 1000x1000 image loaded but the actual HTML holder of that image is only 320x320 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder. This also refer to Laurent_Thomas_NB_1000px.jpg image.

Unfortunately this is not Hummingbird can deal with since your theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed Hummingbird doesn't like loading image larger than its holder.

You can enable new feature in Smush called "Detect and show incorrectly sized images"' and refresh site, then you will see panel on right side which will show you incorrect image sizes used on your site.

There are two option to fix this:

1. Optimize/resize those images manually on PC to correct size (each image) and reupload/overwrite them again to correct folders via FTP (or upload again to media library and attach again to those sections)

2. Use default Worpdress resize option in library:
    - Go to Media -> Library
    - search you image in search box
    - hover on image and click edit
    - then click "Edit Image" button
    - you should see then "Scale Image" box where you can set new dimensions for your image/images.

As for the third picture which is indiebound.jpg, the size fit to HTML holder but Hummingbird still see this image can be compress. I took closer look on that image on my PC and it store some metadata inside.

After compression on my PC this image was reduce from 15kb to 2kb.
    I recommend in this case to enable in Smush Strip my image metadata and Smush all images or separate from library.

After those steps you should not see any issue with "Optimize images" in Hummingbird score.

Hope this help :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Kris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.