[Hummingbird] Hummingbird Setup

I tried setting up hummingbird configurations based on its recommendations. I thought everything was going well until, after activating a recommendation, the CSS for the website went bye-bye. I freaked out and deactivated hummingbird altogether. Would it be possible for someone to help me setup hummingbird without losing losing the site's CSS and other functions? Thanks so much! Payton

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Payton,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

A missing CSS issue is usually related to Minification settings of Hummingbird. That feature's goal is to compress (and possibly combine multiple files into less files) CSS and JS resources to make them smaller and, as a result, load faster. However, this is a complex task and can bring different results on different setups, meaning it might require some additional fine-tuning.

There's also a possibility that if you are using some other optimization tools (or e.g. there's CSS optimization built-in into your theme), they may be interfering.

Usually, there's no need to disable minification completely but instead some changes must be made to its configuration. I'll be happy to help you with that.

To do so, I'll need to be able to access the site so please enable support access for me. To do this, please go to the "WPMU DEV -> Support" page in your site's back-end and click on "Grant Support Access" button there and let me know here when it's active.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Payton

Hi Predrag,

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this for me. Yes, the theme is definitely outdated, but I am unable to perform and update because coding changes were made to both the child and parent theme. It seems like in order to solve the problem, like you suggested, I'll need to rework the code on a local site and then try editing the CSS files that are being minified.

Thanks so much again for helping with this,
      Payton

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Payton!

I'm sorry to hear that but yes, it looks like in that case that might be the only way to go. If I may suggest something, while reworking the code, try avoiding making any changes to parent theme as this might (and actually does, like in this case) lead to some unexpected issues in future. I realize that this might not always be possible, of course, but it's better to try to take care of it :slight_smile:

That said, if you have any additional/further questions or you decide to get back to the case, just let us know here and we'll be ready to assist you.

Best regards,
        Adam

• Payton

Hi Adam,
    Thanks so much for your quick response. I have granted you access. Also, currently, Hummingbird is deactivated. My main issue (hence hummingbird. haha) is to increase performance with the speed test. I have a client who keeps telling me that the site is slow; for me it is working quite well. I'm hoping to resolve the problem and deliver him a good speed test score.
    Please let me know if you need anything else from me. I really appreciate your help!
    Best,
    Payton

PS. Sorry for the duplicate ticket...my Internet was being wonky so I submitted twice to make sure that the ticket had gone through.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Payton,

Thanks for granting access, I was checking your site and noticed that when minification is active the theme custom styling is loading after the main CSS and that why the styling is off.

I tried tweaking the options to get it working but I'm afraid that I was unable to find a solution.
    I did notice that your theme is quite outdated, the version installed is from 2016, so could you please update your theme to latest version and see if the issues are gone after that?
    Since this is a major update I would suggest making a full backup of your site before proceeding with an update.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.