[Hummingbird] Hummingbird & Smush

We use Defender, Hummingbird, and Smush. On all my other sites, when I changed the default cache to 8 days it also changes the current settings amounts.

For my current client the Hummingbird cache interface displays 8 days (in the setting column, but higher time amounts in the "current settings" area)? In all my other accounts it shows 8 and 8, when I change the cache expiration settings. On this one it shows the days set to 8 but the "current settings" are higher. Is this a bug?
My hummingbird overview page keeps asking me to configure compression. I have Smush on, and have run it many times. It keeps wanting to compress the same 9 files over and over. And, the compression setting warning is still at 51 percent? Again, on my other sites, the compression scores are higher.

Same theme. for all sites. Divi.
Thanks,

Bill Mitchell
Digital 303

3. I am also using Defender. i assume you only want one security app at a time? I have run into some of our sites that have both Defender activated, and Wordfence. I assume you don't want them both on at the same time? I am using as many of your plugins as possible. To keep overhead low.

• Ash

Hello Mitch

Would you please enable support access so that I can check? Please follow this article to enable support access: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

I will check cache settings and compression notice.

3. I am also using Defender. i assume you only want one security app at a time? I have run into some of our sites that have both Defender activated, and Wordfence. I assume you don't want them both on at the same time? I am using as many of your plugins as possible. To keep overhead low.

Is this a question you asked or it is posted by mistake? If you asked, then I would say yes, using two security plugins may conflict. But there might be some features that is unique in both plugins, on that case you can just use those features and disable the common ones. I mean use the common features from one plugin only.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• James Morris

Hello Mitch

RE: Brower caching...

When I checked the settings on your site, it showed that your overview page and the details page for Browser Caching were consistent. However, it seems your server does not allow Hummingbird to update the .htaccess automatically. So, if you wish to make changes to the expiry, you'll need to update the .htaccess file via FTP using the code suggested in Hummingbird.

RE: Compression...

Looking at the images that Hummingbird is reporting, it seems the problem here is the images that are added to the page are being resized via CSS to a smaller size. Hummingbird will tell you that you need to optimize your image if you are using an image that is larger than the parent container.

For example: birding-package.jpg is being resized in CSS to 511x331px, but the natural size of this image is 794x515px. So, this is a rather significant size difference and not optimal.

In the following blog post, our team explains how to properly resize and compress images to eliminate such reports in Hummingbird. https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/compress-resize-images-wordpress/

Please keep in mind that it's not always possible to get 100% optimization in this area though. There are times when you may wish to have some effect or responsiveness to images that requires using a larger image which will be scaled by CSS or JS. It's a trade-off.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.