Hummingbird issues - according to our host server this plug-in is breaking our site

Here's what the folks and liquid web have reported:

John P. (Liquid Web)
Oct 24, 8:27 AM EDT

"Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. After digging into this a bit deeper I was able to resolve the problem at least partially. I found that there were some missing javascript resources which were being called in wp-hummingbird-cache files. These missing resources were generating additional load times, and there was also something in the cache which was causing the page to load incorrectly and not display the proper headers or background.

Upon disabling the hummingbird plugin and checking the site, the site layout looks more complete to me. The load time has also improved slightly. If you need to continue using the hummingbird plugin, I would suggest clearing the cache from that plugin if possible.

I also implemented some text in the .htaccess to leverage browser caching through Apache in order to improve overall site speed. The other major item on the gtmetrix report we generated suggests serving scaled images. However as this is a photography site I can understand the need to serve high-resolution images.

My shift is coming to an end, so I will hand this ticket off to the next available technician. If the site is not in an acceptable condition, we can go ahead with the restore as you requested. Otherwise, we can continue working on improving the site speed as necessary. Have a great day.

Regards,
John P.
Linux Support Technician"

Anything we can do as we were hoping that hummingbird would help our site performance - not destroy it.

• Rupok

Hi Larry Davis,

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience you are having. Hummingbird should not destroy your site performance. As you faced trouble with it, let us try to work on it and find out why this was behaving such and resolve all issues.

First of all, I can see you are using an older version of this plugin. Can you please update it to the latest one? New versions usually come with bug fixes and feature updates. So it's always a great idea to keep plugins updated.

Now, regarding the caching issue, I need to see the issue live and make some tests to find out why this broke your site and need to check exactly which assets are not being found in cache. Actually Hummingbird controls your Browser Cache duration. I mean it just controls for how long your browser will store cache files and refresh. So it should not break your site theoretically. I logged in with Support Access and found that Hummingbird is currently disabled on your site. So currently it's not possible for us to troubleshoot the issue on your site. I'm running Hummingbird on my test site but my site is running perfectly without any issue.

Now there is another thing I must mention. That is minification. Hummingbird provides minification function and also putting scripts to header or footer in bulk. Now when you include all files for compressing and putting in the header in general, sometimes it may break your site. Because some plugins include JS and CSS assets in the footer for purposes and when you bring those assets to header, it breaks your site design/functionality. Now different sites use different combination of plugins and themes and there is no way to tell in advance that this setting will work on this site and that settings will not. The best way to find out the optimum settings is using Trial and Error. That means enable compression for all files. Then start excluding one by one to find out at which point your site don't break anymore. Same goes for minification. Also for position, I mean you should include all files in the header position, then put one by one to footer to find out what setup works best for you.

So I'll suggest you to clone your whole site to another server/site and play with Hummingbird there. As you are cloning the site, everything should be same on the cloned site. You can use Duplicator plugin for cloning your site. When you find out the best setup for your site in that cloned site, you can then deploy that settings on your main site. I believe in that way you can use the full power of Hummingbird to increase your site performance.

Please feel free to tell us if you have any suggestion or confusion regarding anything related to Hummingbird. We will be glad to assist you and help you understand the setup better. And definitely we want you to enjoy the full power of Hummingbird on your site.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Larry Davis

HI Rupok-
    Yes as you can see - the server tech. disabled the plug-in -
    We have an open ticket on another site in our hub. We can't seem to update any of the WPMU plug-ins from our dashboard on any of the sites.
    I wish I had the time to clone the site and work through all the settings but as you can see from our other support tickets we are having a challenge getting M2 Pro stylized on this site right now and are several weeks behind on the site launch.
    Maybe if I can get the M2 Working so the client can at least start to sign-up members and allow existing members to update their profiles - then I can try to experiment with Hummingbird.

I have been a member of WPMU since 2012- and have had some success with a few of the plug-ins - but many times I run into brick walls where we just can't quite get the sites to work or find customization strategies we can do without a lot of coding and we have to bail out.
    If I can't get this site done this week - we will be forced to try re-direct or have the client kick us to the curb...

• Nithin

Hi Larry Davis,

Sorry to know that you are having issues with the plugin, since the Hummingbird plugin is not installed anymore, we aren't able to troubleshoot this issue further. As mentioned by Rupok, this plugin only makes use of browser caching, if you are finding any issues with your sites layout, you'll have to re-check your minified files, by clicking the RE-CHECK FILES button under Hummingbird > Minification, please do note you may have to tweak your files by moving it to header/footer to solve any issues related to your sites layout, as these settings entirely depends upon how your theme honors the minification settings.

If you do consider to make use of this plugin, please do let us know, we would be glad to troubleshoot this issue further. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.