Hummingbird Minification filenames logic

Good Evening,

Let's say I have a site using Hummingbird and its minification feature that combines some CSS files in the header. Now I update the theme (or plugin), the site still shows the old CSS. It looks like the new CSS got minified and combined, because when I reload the minified css file (cmd + r) and then reload the site, the new CSS is being displayed properly.

Is it possible that the minified CSS file uses the same name for the new file and therefor does not tell the browser to download the new styles? Is there a solution that I don't have to worry about that?

Thanks a lot

And does anyone know if a theme or plugin update triggers WP Super Cache or W3 Total Cache to empty the cache?
(I know these are not wpmudev plugins, but since wpmudev does not have it's own caching plugin (yet) maybe another member knows the answer to this question.)

• Patrick

Hi there Stefan

I hope you're well today!

I'm honestly not quite sure whether the plugin rewrites minified files with the same name. But if you are using a cache plugin currently, it is always a good idea to clear the cache and double-check your site with every change you make to every plugin or theme.

No matter how handy or essential one might consider cache to be, it invariably causes issues if neglected when changes are made. :wink:

On that note, I'm pretty sure both plugins you mention require a manual flush of the cache when updating plugins & themes.

• Stefan

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm well, I hope so are you.

I think it would be rather important to save newly minified files with a different name, especially since minification als removes the version number at the end of css files (?ver=3.0.0) which is used to force reloads on new versions of theme and plugins.

It sort of defeats the purpose of great tools like the wpmudev hub if I still have to login into every site after theme and plugin updates to clear caches and re-minify CSS and JS files.

And as the cache plugins have an option to clear the cache when a new post is being published, I think they should have an option to clear the cache when a theme or plugin is being updated, I doubt that would cause any issues. (But that's not a wpmudev issue. Or could it be a hub feature to clear caches of popular cache plugins?)

• Patrick

Hi again Stefan

I hope you had a great weekend!

According to the developer, Hummingbird does indeed change the filenames when they are minified again. He also notes that a file has an expiration of 1 week, more or less.

So I'm thinking it likely is cache from whatever plugin/script you're running on your site that is still loading the older file, until cache is cleared.

The only plugin I've been able to find to force clear cache from any plugin was last updated 2 years ago:

However, it looks for standard WP functions, and only refreshes browser cache for a file if it has been modified.

• Stefan

Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your reply, I hope you're doing well.

I just ran into a similar issue again.
    - No caching plugin enabled.
    - With minification enabled there is a problem with a JS file from another plugin (Wordfence)
    - Without minification there is no problem with that JS file (plugin still enabled)
    - If I turn minification back on, the problem is back and the minified file has the same filename again.
    - If I deactivate the plugin and minify again, the problem is solved and the minified file has a different filename.

Any idea? Should I grant support access so the developer can have a look at it?

Update: Turns out the problem is not solved by deactivating that plugin, but randomly reoccurs. Nevertheless I think it's odd that Hummingbird uses the same filename again after re-minifying.

• Stefan

Hi Patrick,

Sorry, I did not look at the forum in the last few month, and the email notification got buried in the emails. To be honest, I have not tested any further.
    I think I reported a bug, which is up to you guys to test and fix. If you can't reproduce the bug that's fine. But if I update a plugin or theme, I expect hummingbird to create new minified files with a new filename, and that was not the case when I reported the issue.

Kindest regards

• Stefan

Hi Kasia,

To be honest, I am disappointed in the support for this. Three month after reporting the issue you guys ask if the problem resolved itself or still exists and if I can enable support access?
    Like I said, I haven't tested any further. And I don't know on which site the problem existed anymore. I probably simply re-enabled the plugin after making theme changes or plugin updates.
    I'm sorry, but I'm not interested in spending any more time on testing bugs.

• Nithin

Hello Stefan,

Sorry for the delay in keeping the ticket long. I do understand your disappointment, but we can only troubleshoot it further, if we could see the issue in live. If you think that you figured out the exact site with the issue, and still want us to troubleshoot it further, please do send us your credentials, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form:

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do reply us back in the ticket once you have send the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,