Hummingbird minification - files stuck in "pending" state

When you enable minification on the site, files are getting stuck in "pending" state for very long. Intensively browsing a site does help a little but still with that speed it would take hours (if ever) to process them. The Page Caching has paused automatically while the files are in "pending" state but they cannot get out of it so, as a result, caching cannot be enabled too.

• Nastia
    • Support Rock Star

Hello Jeffrey Euen-Gow

Hope you're doing well!

If there is a conflict with a plugin, CSS and JS files in minification will have pending status until the conflict is resolved. It also possible that another plugin may be blocking Hummingbird to proceed with minification. To find out which plugin is causing it, please test for plugin conflicts.

Since this is a live site, please create a staging site where you can run this test. Most hosting providers offer live site cloning to the staging site, please consult with hosting support about it.

If not, please create a staging site on a subdomain or in a subdirectory; you can create a staging site with the Snapshot Pro plugin. See here how:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-migration-snapshot/

Once the staging site is created, navigate to Settings > Reading and check "Discourage search engines from indexing this site" to avoid Google Penalty.

Deactivate all the plugins except Hummingbird, visit a home-page and check if the pending status has changed. If it is changed, start activating one plugin at the time, each time re-checking files in Hummingbird > Minification and visiting a home page. Follow the steps from the flowchart:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Please let us know how it went!

Kind regards,
    Nastia

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

Hi
    I have now created a mirrored version of our live site:
    Mirrored Site: mirrored-site.seventaimage.com
    Live Site: seventaimage.com
    I did not do this with Snapshot but another plugin as there were issues with snapshot not completing the import to the mirrored site.
    I was advised on Live Chat to update this ticket when the mirrored site was available which it now is so you can play with it and find out what the issue is with Hummingbird not completing and showing a constant pending status.

Please advise next steps.
    Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Jeffrey Euen-Gow,

appreciate the feedback here! :slight_smile:

I've already went ahead and followed the steps that Nastia proposed in her previous reply.
    I've deactivated all plugins apart from WPMUDEV Dashboard and HummingBird, installed and activated the default TwentySeventeen theme and turned on Minification.
    After making some changes (I've pushed all JS files to footer) and revisiting the homepage, I can see no pending statuses in Minification.
    This means that there's a conflict between the plugins and theme you've installed, so you have to move on with the conflict test as shown in next flow chart image:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Support-Process-Support-Process.gif

Activate your plugins and theme, one-by-one this time, and each time go to Minification page and "re-check" files as shown below:

Then make some changes (a single "footer" toggle should be enough, either On or Off) and save changes. After doing so, go visit the homepage, allow 1-2 minutes to pass, then go back to Minification page and check for any "pending" status, until you found the plugin/theme causes that.

Looking forward for your results!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

The first thing that I tried to do was to add our theme as I am guessing you suspect that it may be the issue here, The theme will not operate correctly or show the site pages without Woocommerce and also Visual Composer (WPBakery Page Builder as it is now known), however I have now again switched off those 2 plugins and just have the theme loaded.

I believe I have followed your instructions and I still get Pending Status on Hummingbird.

I might add I have NO IDEA what I am doing here and this is the reason I am paying for your service... So if you can please take a look and tell me where the issue lies and if its something that can be fixed from your side, OR what information I need to pass on to the developers of the Theme.

As you are aware this is not out LIVE site, it is the site we have set up for testing for your support people: mirrored-site.seventaimage.com

Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Jeffrey Euen-Gow,

the "pending" status is under the "Filesize" column, so you won't get any results if the "minify" option of a CSS or JS file isn't activated. I noticed that and after making a single change for a JS file and after revisited homepage, I can see the updated filesize instead of the pending status.

I've already made some further changes, I've activated minify option for all assets possible (that's not minified already), apart from the "getbowtied-styles - styles.css" as you may also see in Minification screen, as it was breaking the styles in frontend.

Please do continue to activate any other plugin you need, one by one.
    1. visit Minification and select the "minify" option for all CSS coming from the newly activated plugin (you can also filter assets by plugin), and the "minify" and "footer" option for all JS files of it.
    2. visit homepage and check if everything is good.
    3. go back to Minification and refresh page. You should be seeing the updated filesize for any minified assets (as in my previous screenshot about "getbowtied-scripts" ).
    4. If all is good, proceed by activating next plugin and continue with step 1.
    5. If not, revert the last "footer" and "minify" changes you did, one by one, checking each time the homepage until you have back a good working site without any issues. Then carry on with next plugin.

At some point you should be get the initial issue, minified assets will still be shown as pending. At this time, you would -probably- have found the plugin that causes that (last one activated). Hope that clarifies more the necessary steps needed here! :slight_smile:

I also want to mention that setting this up for you, overcomes the scope of our support, as it's considered more of custom development, due to the extended time needed. Reference: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1 ("WPMU DEV Support vs. Custom Development" )

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

Hi

I have followed your instructions on the mirrored-site.seventaimage.com (test site) and started with no plugins/themes active and activated 1 by 1 and there seemed to be no issues so kept going and going and no issues....

However, have tried to duplicate the exact same theme and plugins plus the same settings for minify and move to footer as the test site in the live site and after more than 12 hours waiting, there are still a huge amount of files pending (on the live site), the test site is fine....

See attached PDF's where I have done a direct comparison on the files and highlighted IN RED TEXT where there are missing files across both sites.

I am at a loss here again, after doing what you said, I thought I would find a plugin that didn't want to play ball and was causing the conflict (on the live site) but testing this all seems fine on the mirrored-site, it's just not doing the same on the live site....

So where do we go from here to work out what the issue is??

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

hope you're doing good today! :slight_smile:

I've spent some time in both live and mirrored sites and I can see that they are still having some differences, as there're some pending updates in mirrored site. Could you please proceed with these updates and make sure that all settings have been set just like in live site? I wonder if this has something to do with Minification, as it seems that it halts at some point, due to some error.

The only thing that I can see in live site, are some mixed-content error messages, so I'd rather advise to install a plugin like this one https://wordpress.org/plugins/really-simple-ssl/ which should help you resolve these.

Please do let us know when mirrored site is in the same state as live site, and if Really Simple SSL made any difference in live site.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

I have installed the Really Simple SSL plugin and set it up as you suggested, I have also removed the site that was on the mirrored-site.seventaimage.com and installed a NEW copy of the LIVE site from seventaimage.com and as far as I can see they are an exact match.

I have rechecked the Minification Files on both sites and many files still show as Pending…. On Both Sites…

So you now have a clean and SAME version of the live site on the mirrored site for testing. However, I have noticed that the file count in Hummingbird is different on each site and can change whenever the Minification page is visited.

Please advise where we go from here?

Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

hope you're doing good and really appreciate the cooperation here!
    I can see no mixed-content errors in live site now, which is a good thing anyway! :slight_smile:

I just went ahead in mirrored site and I can see that there's no "pending" status there (at least not for any asset that has active the "minify" option).

I can still see in live site though, that re-checking files doesn't fetch the same number of assets and it requires much more time for minified assets to lose their "pending" status.

I've already contacted our developers about it, please don't make any other change in Minification settings of live site, just to see if these pending statuses resolve after a while.

Me or another colleague of mine will keep you posted here about any development as soon as we've got some valuable insights! Please keep in mind that our dev's response times are a bit longer than ours (support staff), your patience on this is highly appreciated!

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

Hi Team
    Just to give you an update, we have just had our server upgraded to E3-1240 quad-core with 16GB of ram (previously dual-core cpu with 4GB of ram)...
    I have noted that since the upgrade has completed there is still no change in the status of some pending files on both LIVE SITE and Mirrored Site.
    So a few days have passed now since this was last looked at and with your advice [don't make any other change in Minification settings of live site, just to see if these pending statuses resolve after a while.].... And it seems that there are still differences between the LIVE and MIRROR Site in the number of files and also the number of Pending Files not coming out of Pending Status, So nothing has changed.
    If I can get an update on this please.
    Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

I just logged-in both sites and I can't see any "pending" status, at least for any asset that has activated the "minify" option, so it seems that all is working good now!
    Live: https://monosnap.com/file/r8Zjjt8WkGO2aZDr2RMuaKhf31HV0z
    Mirrored: https://monosnap.com/file/kzrFYSmRLWOFirNhMCvSLtunXvUKo5
    Could you please confirm that?

I can also see that mirrored site has 90 assets in Minification, while live site has 108.
    In my previous tests, where I also created a report for our SLS team, I was seeing 79~82 assets in live site, each time I was re-checking files.
    Did you add any additional plugin in live site? Is "mirrored" still a complete and exact copy of live site? Please advise! :slight_smile:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

Hello, you said: Is "mirrored" still a complete and exact copy of live site? Please advise!

I have just now created a new mirrored site version which should be an exact copy of the LIVE site.

I can see that the same number of files are present in minification (the percentage is different, and there are a number of files PENDING on the LIVE site)...

I have no idea why the LIVE site is not coming out of the PENDING status but the Mirror Site does.

Please let me have an update when you can look into this.

Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Jeffrey,

hope all is good for you today!

I can still see some different number between them, 93 files found for live, 81 for mirrored.
    I'm still unable to make any pending files to resolve though, despite that in my previous test, it was working good. Could you please let me know what kind of changes you've applied in live site since my previous reply here? :slight_smile:
    Did you install additional plugins, or have you re-checked files in Minification?

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

The different number of files keeps changing all the time across the different sites, they have never really matched.

Changes in Live Site: Removed a plugin and updated the plugins that were due to be updated and of course the auto update of WP itself to the latest version. The LIVE site is always going to be changing as we operate Bookings from the site as well as eCommerce with WooCommerce, etc.

When I made the changes to the site Hummingbird suggested clearing the cache which I did but clicking the clear cache option starts Hummingbird (I thought that was suppose to have been fixed in a Hummingbird update, so that would not happen) and rechecks the files.

Except when I made the FRESH copy for the MIRROR SIte, the number of files have never matched but you would think they should....

The NEW MIRROR Copy (currently installed) was made after all changes to the LIVE Site so with the exception of any new bookings or product sales through the site made since yesterday the site itself should be an exact copy.

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
    • Flash Drive

I have noted that the MIRRORED Site has minified and has no files pending for those chosen for minification, So when this is an exact copy of the LIVE site, why are there many many files still pending on the LIVE site.
    This is becoming extremely frustrating and slowing us down with getting our sites in order, can you please provide me with an update and advice on what is being done about it.
    Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

I wasn't able to make any progress on this, and I can see the "pending" statuses again in Live site.
    I've already contacted HummingBird's lead developer to have a look here, please spare us some time on this and we'll reply back here as soon as possible.

I'd also like to mention that posting multiple times in a thread, without getting any reply back from us, won't make things work faster for us, it can actually have the opposite effect. As mentioned in our documentation page here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-1
    under the "Support Ticket Etiquette" section (and I quote):

Don’t bump your threads. We respond to tickets in order of oldest to newest, and bumping will only send your thread to the back of the queue.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
      • Flash Drive

Hi Dimitris
      I am not in the practice of and DO NOT Bump my posts, however, I would expect that it should not take 5 days or more to get some feedback for a Premium Support Product. If you are working on it that is fine, but I would be helpful to get an update occasionally so I know that something is being done and that it is being prioritized.
      I have only posted multiple times when there is additional information that I would have thought you would want to know. I tried to edit a post to add additional information but this did not work and instead just logged me out of the site.

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

I had some feedback from our lead developer who had a look and he was able to spot some errors, even though I can't see them now and most assets in live site have been minified successfully, even though there're still couple of pending statuses.
    These were some PHP fatal errors which can affect HummingBird Minification, as in order to perform well, there should be no error at all and website should load all assets without any issue.

Our main concern is that mirrored site doesn't seem to be a complete and exact copy of live installation, at least server-wise. Let me give you some examples:
    - max_execution_time is set to 0 on the staging site and to 900 on the live site
    - .htaccess files don't match
    These shouldn't cause such changes in Minification, they still imply different server configuration files per site.

Your main concern about mirrored site aren't data coming bookings and other e-commerce functionalities, but basically mirrored site should have:
    - the exact set of plugins and themes
    - same settings in WP and plugins/themes
    - same server configuration
    This way, we should be getting the same results in Minification.

Having said that, can you please re-inspect above points in mirrored site?
    Also about live site, have you made any changes since my previous reply? I mean plugin/theme updates or new installations, as well as other WP or server changes.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris :slight_smile:

• Jeffrey Euen-Gow
      • Flash Drive

Hi Dimitris
      Update: I had our server manager do the following as the plugins seem to have issues making exact copies, so the server manager has done this:
      Made a manual copy of the live site, the procedure was:
      1.) Rename old mirror directory
      2.) Copy files into a new mirrored-site directory
      3.) Update wp-config.php from old mirror to new mirror
      4.) Delete old mirror files
      5.) Make a dump of main database, load over top of existing mirrored database
      6.) Run serialized search/replace on database
      Search: //seventaimage.com
      Replace: //mirrored-site.seventaimage.com
      7.) Update .htaccess with:
      :1,$s/\/\/seventaimage.com/\/\/mirrored-site.seventaimage.com/g

NOW the Number of Files in Minification Match at: 100 on both sites, 28% on Live Site/27% on Mirror, Size Reductions LIVE 158kb / MIRROR 173kb.

I have noted the following from comparing the LIVE and MIRRORED Minified Files -
      PENDING STUCK:

CSS
      bookly-intlTelInput
      bookly-picker-date
      bookly-main
      bookly-customer-profile
      wplc-theme-palette-1
      wplc-theme-modern
      getbowtied-styles (this is pending on both LIVE and MIRROR and I believe minification breaks the site)
      ppe_cart (this is pending on both LIVE and MIRROR)

JS
      sendmgs
      mailchimp-woocommerce_connected_site (this is pending on both LIVE and MIRROR)
      jquery-yith-wcwl
      table-maker-front (this is pending on both LIVE and MIRROR)

You also asked:
      Also about live site, have you made any changes since my previous reply? I mean plugin/theme updates or new installations, as well as other WP or server changes. {No, I have not made any changes}.

I await your next update, Thank you

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Jeffrey Euen-Gow,

hope you're doing good and please excuse my late response here, last days weren't the best for me, but I'm back now! :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the feedback here, seems that we have replicated the issue now in the mirrored site and we can dig into it. Could you please share your WP admin user for the new mirrored site?
    As this is public forum, you should send us your details through our safe contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question using this template:

Subject: "Attn: Dimitris"
    - WordPress admin for mirrored-site (login url/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Jeffrey Euen-Gow,

I think we have a working environment finally! I can see in mirrored site that there's no pending status, apart from
    - getbowtied-styles (I left that un-minified as it was breaking frontend)
    - mailchimp-woocommerce_connected_site (this is also left un-minified)

In live site now, I can see no pending statuses as well, apart from above ones of course, and from also another two, which aren't present in mirrored site
    - table-maker-front
    - vc_google_fonts_abril_fatfaceregular

This is a very good result, keeping in mind the long list of assets that comes from your plugins and theme. HummingBird's Performance Report still notices some improvements, but these will break the website's frontend most probably, so you're safe to ignore them.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

hope you're doing good!

I've made a little change in /wp-content/plugins/wp-hummingbird/core/modules/class-module-minify.php file of both installations, which should handle better any assets that could cause an error after got minified (these are coming from upcoming next plugin release).
    I can now see that mirror site is performing just like in my previous tests.

The getbowtied-styles should stay un-minifed, as it breaks the site when it gets minified. This is what you should have seeing, in your previous screenshot, as I was able to replicate this (I've already removed it from minify of course).

The CDN option shouldn't make any difference on the website's output, as it will be the same files that are going to be loaded in my end, only the origin of them is changing, from your server to our CDN (via Amazon CloudFront).

So, as far as it gets for the "pending" statuses, that's the initial report, this seems that's resolved.

As for the differences between the list of assets, these are coming from differences between live and mirror site, HummingBird has no interference with that. I can see different pending updates in these two, so this tells me that are not exact copies. I'd rather advise to proceed with updates in both ends, then re-check any settings (activating a functionality in a plugin can result in enqueuing an extra asset). If this is still troubling you, you can carry on with a conflict test. Disable all plugins, enable one by one on both sites, do a minification scan and compare the results.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.