Hummingbird minification settings won't save.

Hi there,

One of the reasons I subscribed to WPMUDEV was an article I read about above the fold resources slowing page-loads and how to minify, defer or async load said resources... I saw hummingbirds granular control and really thought that took the prize.

I am having a little difficulty though. In the minification settings on my site, when I try to save an adjustment, my page starts to reload but I get an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE, a blank page load and when I reload the page the settings haven't taken.

I have granted access to support, I really hope you can find my problem and help me sort this out.

Thanks guys

Jeff

• jeff

Hey Dimitris,

I'm on MacOS Sierrea and was on Chrome v.52.something...

I upgraded to the latest v.53, cleared cache, reset browser to original state, disabled extensions (last pass and papier), but the problem persisted.

So I have just uninstalled chrome, and reinstalled it. However the problem persists. I can save with Firefox still though.

I guess I will have to revert to using Firefox for hummingbird for now, but do you have any other suggestions?

Jeff

• jeff

Just to be thorough, I also tried on my partners iMac, MacOS Sierra, Chrome V.52.

Her computer continues to give me a connection reset error, different error yet persistent.

I am in Shanghai, China. I have tried with both my VPN on and off. (Firefox works, both with vpn on and off).

Site is hosted on GoDaddy's (I know - clients choice) Asian servers in Singapore, they have access to 4 cpu cores, 4MB of Memory and 2MB I/O.

• Dimitris

Hey there jeff,

hope you're having a beautiful day! :slight_smile:

I can now see that you deactivated HummingBird, is there another issue that you were dealing with? Please advise!

Meanwhile I had a colleague of mine to quickly activate it and test it under OSX/Chrome and minification changes we working again. :thinking:

Could you please try to contact GoDaddy and ask them to clear any caches involving your installation and test again?

Kind regards,
    Dimitris

• jeff

Hi Dimitris,

I deactivated Hummingbird and minification settings, as I was testing it out and I like it, I can save my changes via firefox when I need them, but right now I have to get two sites online in the next couple of days.

Since I am moving into a design phase, it's easier to not have to deal with caching so I can see changes immediately. I should probably be using a localhost, but I've had problems migrating to live and unexpected things happening due to my Chinese environment, so I prefer to work live.

Anyway, as soon as I have things in the right shape, my plan was to activate hummingbird and cloudflare again, order the above and below the fold resources and get the pagespeeds up.

However, as I mentioned in the other thread, GoDaddy Chat Support comes back online tomorrow, I will get onto them then and ask them to do that.

Please feel free to poke around, there's nothing sensitive there.

Nice one

Jeff

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeff!

Since I am moving into a design phase, it's easier to not have to deal with caching so I can see changes immediately. I should probably be using a localhost, but I've had problems migrating to live and unexpected things happening due to my Chinese environment, so I prefer to work live.

That's understandable :slight_smile: Let's see then what the GoDaddy Chat Support will say and if they'll be able to clear the caches for you and if that would help.

Let us know please if that changed anything.

Best regards,
    Adam

• jeff

Hi,

I had GoDaddy flush my cache. But the problem is persisting for me. When I try to save script deferring settings using Chrome v.53 I get an Error 520 from Cloudflare, or if Cloudflare isn't enabled I get an err_empty_response.

As I can still use Firefox, this seems like a weird but specific bug. Since Cloudflare is giving me an error page, that would suggest there is something more at work here than a blockage on my system wouldn't it?

However, glass half full... Firefox is working.

Support access has been granted, hummingbird has been deactivated again but if anyone wants to have a look then feel free to reactivate, however I'm not sure what you guys can do since both your guys who have had a look so far couldn't replicate my problem on their system.

Thanks again

Jeff

• Dimitris

Hey there jeff,

I trust you're doing good! :slight_smile:

It's true that I can still move assets to the footer without any error. :disappointed:
    As you mentioned CloudFlare though, I can see that you haven't enabled the CloudFlare integration in HummingBird settings (and I can't actually recall if this has been done before).

Could you please proceed with the integration as it should take care of any possible conflicts and/or overridden settings between them?
    I doubt that this will deal with your Chrome issue but there's nothing for you to lose here. :wink:

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• jeff

Hey Dimitris,

Cloudflare was enabled previously, it's just been disabled while I have been tweaking design to save clearing cache.

Although I found a development mode in cloudflare's settings that stops all caching for a period. I'll see how that works.

Anyway, your doubts were confirmed, made no difference. Seems like an oddity between my Chrome browser and my host, firefox is still working fine.

Very IT crowd, but I'll see if deinstalling and reinstalling the plugin works.

Best

Jeff

• Dimitris

Hey there jeff,

Very IT crowd, but I'll see if deinstalling and reinstalling the plugin works.

Totally IT Crowd if this resolves it finally!! :laughing:

I wonder, if you had mentioned this issue to GoDaddy when you reached them to clear the caches... did you have any other feedback maybe?
    I think that I should ping more colleagues on this as I start getting out of ideas.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• jeff

Not sure if I should start a new topic, but I'll leave this here and follow your advice...

I'm adjusting minification settings in Hummingbird (using firefox lol)...

But having a bit of trouble.

I have 55 enqueued files, but the graph at the bottom only shows about 20 or so, it causes difficulty picking out which files to defer to the footer and test.

Before I reinstalled Hummingbird, it showed all the enqueued files, but now it seems my site is hardly loading anything. (of course it is, when i look at the source code it's all there and the site is running properly)

Also, for the life of me, I have been trying to get one file into the footer, it's switch has been toggled correctly, but it always shows up in the header.

Language-selector.css

Give it a shot...

My OCD Is killing me! lol

Jeff

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Jeff!

I checked the site regarding your recent findings.

I have 55 enqueued files, but the graph at the bottom only shows about 20 or so, it causes difficulty picking out which files to defer to the footer and test.

The list that you see on "Hummingbird -> Minification" page shows all the files that Hummingbird thinks it is able to handle. There are indeed 55 files listed. That's fine then.

The graph that you see below is different however and it's currently showing I think 18 files. It shows which files were combined into which files and where these combined results where loaded (header/footer). The point is however that it's not always possible to combine and move all the files that are marked to be combined and moved. It depends on the particular setup and there are multiple factors that influence this, e.g.:

- combination of installed and active plugins
    - plugins settings
    - themes and themes settings
    - server configuration

In my opinion this part is working fine here and if it's not able to combine/move more files that would mean that it's all that can be done with current setup. There may be other actions necessary such as e.g. switching off some plugins or changing their settings or replacing them with other tools of the same functions, making sure that the theme that's used is fully compliant with WordPress Codex, making sure that there's no "over-caching" on the site (e.g. some features of caching/security plugins/CDN duplicate) and finally - if necessary - working with server configuration.

I also checked the "language-selector.css" file and this would be a perfect example of the issue described above: the plugin is not able to move it either due to WPML overriding that or to the server configuration. I'd say that's the first reason though.

Having said that all, I'd like to stress out that even though Hummingbird will do anything it can to optimize your site, there are issues that may not be possible to overcome easily. See above :slight_smile:

As for the initial ("settings won't save") issue, let's then wait again to see what our colleagues (those that Dimitris asked for testing) will say on this. Personally, I'm not Mac user so I'm not able to test this (on my Chrome/Win 10 settings are saved well) but I hope somebody will be able to reproduce that and spot the source of the problem.

Best regards,
    Adam

• jeff

I see, thanks for that explanation, I understand better now.

Small problem is the amount of enqueued files varies sometimes 55, sometimes it's only 11, even when the graph in the bottom shows 18 files being combined into those 2....

Functionally, it seems good though, according to pagespeed - all resources are combined into 2 files (css & js) and their report is the same as hummingbird.

Also when I do a performance report, the score seems arbitrary. Okay the server response time might change a bit, but the reported score for resource blocking scripts varies wildly, even when no change has been made.

Basically as-long as the other scores are 100, I am ignoring to some extent the value placed on resource blocking scripts... sometimes its 03, sometimes 45, sometimes 75... but each time the result is actually identical = 1 combined minified .js, 1 combined .css and 1 seperate .css

Anyway... now to the good news...

I can now save with Chrome. It's good news-ish... although I'm afraid it throws no light on the why so I worry the problem may repeat or may be symptomatic of another underlying issue (given my other problems).

If you guys ever work out what was wrong with my server, I'd love to feed it back to my host. But I will mark this as resolved now.

Thanks for all your help re this problem.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.