Hummingbird Missing Files & Not Clearing Properly?

Very excited about the philosophy and rapid progression of the Hummingbird plugin just like all the great work currently being done by WPMUDEV.

(Cant wait to get my hands on a stress ball! ;-P)

However, we are experiencing some weird results and without understanding exactly what the plugin is trying to do we are left bewildered by some situations.

There is no hard documentation for this plugin - and I can't think why you would need to - other than to give us a bit more understanding about what SHOULD be happening so we can then maybe dig a little deeper but at this stage it seems some things arent totally ironed out. Not unreasonable considering the freshness of the plugin.

Issue One:

Not all files seem to be displayed when going to Minify. (Lists 17 files to be enqueued then dashboard says 18 are being enqueued? Then output under the minification settings only shows 15 files?) I have a gut feeling this is something to do with the updates as we have had all the versions of this plugin installed at some point. It used to shows us a login.css file which has disappeared - once I find it I will let you know what it was - basically it affects our wp-login css which is customized via another plugin.

I was going to write a small plugin to list what is being enqueued by wordpress (im guessing hummingbird does this in order to do its job) so I could compare the two. I know part of the initial file check is supposed to highlight files which can be controlled but then its not clear what effect removing the 'include' option does. Does that file still load as normal just not with everything else or does 'include' not being ticked mean the file will be trashed from the queue?

Issue Two:

Clearing minification settings and disabling it still show number of enqueued files on Hummingbird dashboard. Not sure if the meta box is simply skipping on checking if the minification is active and looking directly at database options (not sure what is stored in the database for this plugin - only a guess).

Issue Three:

We have seen that sometimes we turn off minification and reload the dashboard only to find it is in fact back on again. Struggling to replicate this again but thought it would worth adding - again perhaps issue with database or updates to the plugin?

• Rupok

Hi Scribblevision

Hope you had a wonderful day.

Lists 17 files to be enqueued then dashboard says 18 are being enqueued? Then output under the minification settings only shows 15 files?

I logged in with Support Access and checked. I saw 17 files under the minification settings. Can you please check again? And where in your Dashboard I can see 18 are being enqueued?

Clearing minification settings and disabling it still show number of enqueued files on Hummingbird dashboard

Can I disable it again to test the issue? I don't know if this one is a running site or not. So I need your confirmation before making any tests on it.

We have seen that sometimes we turn off minification and reload the dashboard only to find it is in fact back on again

Again I need your confirmation if its ok to disable the settings and make some tests on your site.

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!

• Scribblevision

Hey Rupok,

/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-minification => 17 Files Listed in grid / 17 listed in output
    /wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb says Total Enqueued Files = 18

in the minification settings > output area what does it mean when one file has two bars coming from it?

have also seen one file split into two areas in the output - what does that mean?

this is a little dev site we have so we can quickly clone it to begin a new project (clone using installatron so we can do it at VPS level) so feel free to activate / deactivate etc

• Nithin

Hi Scribblevision,

Hope you are doing good today.

in the minification settings > output area what does it mean when one file has two bars coming from it?

That's because you have two files with the same name, in your case it's style.css from your parent and child theme.

have also seen one file split into two areas in the output - what does that mean?

I'm not able to notice such split in your current minification output.

/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-minification => 17 Files Listed in grid / 17 listed in output

I did give a look in your site, and can only see it giving a difference of 1 file always. I had pinged this difference to the developer and I'm looking forward to know whether that's how the plugin behave, will keep you posted regarding this.

When you deactivate Hummingbird's minification the Hbird dashboard page then shows 21 enqueued files

I'm not able to replicate this, I can only see the page showing 17 in total when deactivated. When such uneven numbers show up it's mostly due to the fact that there has been some updates in you installations. It could even be a theme switch.

Would recommend you to use the "recheck" minification button after any such updates, to make sure that you don't get uneven results in total enqueued files.

I hope this helps. Have a nice weekend.

Best Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hey Scribblevision,

Hope you are doing good today.

Thank you for pointing this out, Hummingbird hides one of the jquery files which are used for old compatibility issues. This has been reported and will be fixed in the upcoming release.

Clearing minification settings and disabling it still show number of enqueued files on Hummingbird dashboard. Not sure if the meta box is simply skipping on checking if the minification is active and looking directly at database options (not sure what is stored in the database for this plugin - only a guess).

I'm able to replicate this, as it still show numbers of enqueued files even after minification is disabled, I'm going to mark this as a bug and make sure a patch is available.

Thank you for reporting, please let us know if you need any further help.

Best Regards,
    Nithin