Hummingbird Network Activate or individual site Activation

So, I am very interested in Hummingbird. I have not really gotten W3 Total Cache to do what I wanted, and it seems like Hummingbird should.

I would like to control most of the settings from the Network Admin dashboard so I activated it for the network. (I assume all optimization would apply to the entire network, correct?)

The downside to the network activation is that the Uptime Monitoring gives an error. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find access to any Hummingbird features on the individual site dashboards.

Do I need to just use individual site activations?

Thanks guys, keep up the good work!

-dan

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dan,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Our Hummingbird in Multisite environment is a "network only" plugin meaning that you can only "network activate" it and you shouldn't be even given an option to enable it "site per site".

The "management console" would be available on "Network admin -> Hummingbird" page and this is the place where you can run performance scan, enable browser caching, gzip compression etc. Most of these settings will take a "site-wide" effect.

However, e.g. for "Minification" tool you could decide if "Only Super Admins" can minify, "Blog admins can minify" or an option is deactivated completely. In case of "super admins" and "admins" setting, you will find detailed minification setting on "Hummingbird" page in dashboards of each site.

The downside to the network activation is that the Uptime Monitoring gives an error.

Could you please tell me a bit more on this? What error are you getting? A screenshot would also be very helpful here.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Dan,

Thank you for your response!

I guess I incorrectly assumed this was because I was doing it from the Network Dashboard. If I understood your message correctly, it should work from there.

It should work, yes. As for "timeout" error - did you retry enabling monitoring? This came up on my own setup once or twice and retrying helped. Also, you could try enabling Uptime monitoring directly from The Hub here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/

In "My Websites" box see if an "Uptime" icon next to your website is green or gray. If it's green it would mean that monitoring is enabled. If it's gray, please click on it and you should be able to enable monitoring from there. I'm not suggesting this as a permanent solution but rather as a workaround and also it may help us narrow possible reasons for this issue a bit, hopefully.

Best regards,
    Adam

• David Thibault

I have a couple of followup questions on this. I am also just setting up Hummingbird in a multisite environment. I would like to be able to force the same minification settings for all sites. Can I do that programmatically somewhere, or can I copy the hummingbird_options database field from one site to the rest or something like that? I haven't looked at your db options, but I figured I'd ask if it's advisable before jumping in.

I'm guessing there must be a way to do this. I'd rather just define the settings once, copy them to all sites, and then remove the Hummingbird menu options for all of my non-Super-Admin users.

As always, I appreciate the advice!

Best,
    Dave

• David Thibault

Well, I tried copying all those settings from one blog's wp_options table to a second blog's. After that, when I went to the second blog's admin panel, the Hummingbird menu item on the left didn't show up. Then I went back and deleted all those options from the wp_2_options table and the Hummingbird menu item came back.

Therefore, I'm guessing it's not as easy as copying those settings. I will wait for an answer from your devs before spending more time poking around.

Thanks! :slight_smile:
    Dave

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Dave,

This is not something HB is able to do but it should be possible by transferring wphb_settings and then re-checking the files one more time in order to populate any empty fields in database.

If this doesn't work for you please start a new thread or chat so we don't spam original poster with email notifications of our responses and we'll look into this further.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.