Hummingbird on MediaTemple Grid

I use mediaTemple on an Apache server. I contacted them as the gzip was not working. tye said it is not enabled by default but sent me to this technote. https://mediatemple.net/community/products/grid/204643600/is-mod_gzip-installed

Should the sample they give replace all of the Hummingbird code in the .htaccess file?

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css application/x-javascript

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css text/html text/plain text/xml text/javascript

Thanks,

Sandra

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello msqinc,

I hope you are well today.

Hummingbird is compatible with both mod_deflate and mod_gzip. The rules you were provided with by mediaTemple are actually a small subset of the rules Hummingbird places in your .htaccess file. The format is only slightly different.

I checked your site on https://checkgzipcompression.com/ and it’s showing that Gzip is functioning correctly on your site. If Hummingbird is not reporting Gzip as working correctly, please try re-checking the status from the Gzip Compression settings page. If this still does not work for you, would you please grant me access to your site?

You can learn how to grant WPMU DEV Support Access at the following link:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Please reply back here once you’ve enabled access so I will be notified.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello msqinc,

Adding the following rules to your .htaccess seems to have resolved this issue for you. Can you please confirm on your end that this is all good now?

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/plain
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/css
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/xhtml+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/rss+xml
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/javascript
    AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE application/x-javascript

Best regards,

James Morris

• msqinc
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Yes all compression types are now active. I did have to disable the Minify JavaScript as it was doing odd things to the site.

But overall, I’m not having a great experience the whole WPMU dashboard system. I installed all the components to use WPMU to fully maintain the site. I’m using this site as a test before switching 9 other sites over from iControlWP.

So far the Reports don’t run. I was told that there was a conflict with Defender. So I turned off Defender but the reports still don’t run and my site seems to overall be slower and goes offline more frequently. It was heavily monitored before so it’s not that I had these problems and just didn’t know. Is there something wrong with my setup?

Thanks.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello msqinc,

I’ll be happy to take a closer look at your setup if you would like. Unfortunately though, Support Access has expired on your site. Would you please enable Support Access so I can take a closer look for you? Please ping me back here when you have enabled access so I can look into this further.

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello msqinc,

Taking a look at your site, I see you have Autoptimize installed along side of Hummingbird Pro. These 2 plugins are not compatible to run together. They perform the same functions and will actually cause problems when run together.

Also, I’m seeing that your WP_MEMORY_LIMIT is only set at 40M. This can safely be increased to 400M on your site to help improve performance. You can do so by adding the following define in your wp-config.php just above the line /* That’s all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '400M');

Can you please disable Autoptimize and add the above define and see if this resolves your problem?

Best regards,

James Morris

• msqinc
    • Flash Drive

Hi James,

Thanks for the review. I have followed your advice, but have some questions. Hummingbird does not take care of some of the issues such as “Removing the Render Blocking Resources” from Google fonts. that seems to be a big deal based on the GTmetrix speed analysis. That is the reason for using Autoptimize. The hummingbird “script deferring” didn’t seem to do much. Any suggestions?

And can you tell me how to get the reports to run? I was told there is an issue between Defender and the Reports. I have had 2 reports scheduled for over two weeks now and not one has run including the one when I set up the schedule. Is the reporting feature working? This is after I was told to turn off Defender by chat support. That the bug would be fixed “soon”. What is the status of that? Or again is something not setup properly?

Thanks.

• James Morris
    • WordPress Enthusiast

Hello msqinc,

RE: Hummingbird…

Hummingbird uses wp_register_script() to catalog and process any local assets that need to be managed. If a resource is external, it will be skipped for combining and minification. However, you can still defer and/or relocate to footer. I’m afraid these are the only two options for remote resources.

RE Reports…

This service is still in BETA and has a large amount of activity going on with it’s development. I’m afraid I cannot give any exact ETAs on the issue you are describing, but we have had a few reports of this and I know for certain our Dev Team is working on the fix now. So, this should be updated very, very soon. Please keep in mind that, as with all new services, there’s some growing pains. We’re working to get these sorted out as quickly as possible. Your feedback and providing as much detail as possible about what symptoms you’re seeing is always helpful in us resolving such issues. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.