Hummingbird. Page load slow

My site https://www.*****resource.com/ load slow. I use Hummingbird. All setting looks good, not sure why site still load slow.

• James Morris

Hello allanlove,

I hope you are well today. I'll be following up with you regarding your chat.

I've taken a look at your site and server and found that define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1000M'); was set in your wp-config.php. To test to see if this would actually help, I checked your phpinfo(); output. I found that your PHP memory_limit was 256M, which isn't compatible with the above WordPress define. This can actually cause more problems as WordPress will think it has more memory to work with than it does and will try to request it, causing out of memory issues.

What I've done to correct this is to add a .user.ini file to modify your PHP configuration. I've defined the following directives:

max_execution_time = 300
    max_input_time = 300
    memory_limit = 1024M

I then modified your wp-config.php as so:
    define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '1024M');

Next, I noticed you were having some issues with Hummingbird for getting our hosted CDN content. Seems there's some network issues between your site and our CDN. In order to resolve this, I disabled our CDN for caching of your CSS and JS assets.

Finally, I re-ran the Hummingbird performance scan and found that the score jumped from 45 to 74! So, this is a good start. There's a bit more tweaking you can do with Minification to get a better score and improve speed, but you'll need to go through your CSS and JS assets in Minification and test them one-by-one to ensure which can be optimized more.

Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• James Morris

Hello allanlove,

I checked that site against some known good configurations where I know HTTPS is functioning 100% correctly and it still said that the site was down. So, I suspect the issue is with how the service is setup. It must not properly strip the https:// portion of the URL string. Ping and HTTPS function at different layers of the TCP/IP stack. Ping is at the Internet Layer, while HTTPS is at the Application Layer, which are entirely different.

So, whenever you Ping a domain, whether it's HTTPS or HTTP makes no difference. The protocol doesn't matter.

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

• allanlove

Hi

Would you be able to explain in a bit more detail what that code

What I've done to correct this is to add a .user.ini file to modify your PHP configuration. I've defined the following directives:

max_execution_time = 300
    max_input_time = 300
    memory_limit = 1024M

Means and is it something that could be put in files of other sites to speed them up too? or was it just for this site?

• James Morris

Hello allanlove,

Sure thing! :slight_smile:

max_execution_time = 300

This forces PHP to allow scripts to run for up to 300 seconds.

max_input_time = 300

This forces PHP to allow scripts to input data for up to 300 seconds.

memory_limit = 1024M

This forces PHP to use up to 1024M (1GB) of memory.

This tells WordPress that there is up to 1024M of memory available and it can use it.

Provided the other sites support these resources (if they are on the same server it's very likely they will), yes can copy these over on other sites and it will usually improve performance significantly.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.