[Hummingbird Pro] Asset optimization and performance

I feel I have done all the asset optimization I can do and I am still at a score of 82 desktop and in the 50's for mobile. How can I improve the socres more?

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Charles Davenport

The point which decreases the score most is "Ensure text remains visible during webfont load". When your site first loads, there is no content text and then the texts appears later. I know this is an effect and you selected this, but as google doesn't see the text so it considers the slowness of the site. That is also decreasing the point for "First Meaningful Paint" and "Time to Interactive" section.

Another one is "Eliminate render-blocking resources". You can go to Performance > Asset Optimization and then you can force the files to load at the footer. But make sure you take a DB backup first before proceeding.

Please work on those and this should increase the score. Let us know how it goes.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Juan
    • Flash Drive

Hi Charles,

thanks for getting in touch with us.

The section Performance test --> Ensure text remains visible during web font load has 0% in improvement because your theme uses external fonts from Google instead of loading them directly from the theme files using @font-face, in this case, the only way to improve this score is to or create a child theme, do a template override, and delete the source code of the external fonts, download the fonts from Google and import them in the child theme using @font-face.

Another solution would be to contact the Elegant Themes and report this issue to see if they can develop this solution in the next version of the theme.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Juan

• Charles Davenport
    • New Recruit

Just for your guys info for future reference in case anybody else sends you this question this was the response I got from Elegant Themes:

Hi Charles!

We actually have a fallback font, Open Sand, which is displayed until the regular Google web fonts loads. So the text remains visible during the webfont load, that is just a warning from the plugin because we don't use font-display property when loading the Google fonts.

The lack of font-display was also reported to our developers and we will look into adding that to our CSS rules for loading the fonts.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.