Hummingbird Pro automatic cache cleaning after editing site.

I am using Hummingbird Pro on my site and I have to clear page caches manually each time I edit or update my pages.

Why doesn’t Hummingbird Pro clear page cache by default/automatically after I perform any edits to my site pages?

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Dewey

I hope you’re well today!

I checked your chat in order to get a better picture of the case but I’ll still want to ask you for additional clarification. Let me first explain what Hummingbird does and is supposed to do with the cache.

By default, whenever you edit/update a page or post, the Page Cache should be update for that post/page. This is “out of the box”. However, there are cases when it’s not enough – for example if you’re pulling posts to a homepage or some other place. When you visit edited post you should see changes but when you visit homepage, those changes might not be visible right away.

I agree that’s a bit of a trouble. But there’s an option for this already built-in. If you go to the “Hummingbird -> Caching -> Page Caching” page you’ll find “Clear full cache when post/page is updated” option there and enabling it would help in such cases.

This basically causes Hummingbird to automatically clear all cache if any post is updated – so, if I correctly understand, it’s what you are now doing manually.

You’re using Elementor but the Asset Optimization in Hummingbird is disabled – so that option should do the job in such case. I see it being enabled though but you still need to go to “Hummingbird -> Dashboard” page and click on “Clear cache” there, right?

Is this happening for all type of content on the site or just some (like e.g. Elementor Templates or some specific page(s) on site)? Also, what kind of changes are those? I mean: while editing with Elementor you can e.g. only change the text or image in the post but you also can edit layout, colors, fonts and so on.

I’m asking all this because I want to make sure if we are dealing here with an actual new feature or rather some glitch/bug/incompatibility that needs to be addressed.

Kind regards,

Adam

• Dewey
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Adam,

Let’s see. Maybe it is tied to Elementor, but it seems to happen all the time for me. It seems even if I turn OFF Hummingbird, her cache remains until I clean it out? I am totally spooked by this plugin now. boo hoo… I REALLY NEED TO SOLVE THE THEATRE TAMPA BAY issue listed below and last..

Here are just a few of the issues I have struggled with:

STPETEOPERA.ORG – The edits to home page including “Sold Out” notice did not show and pop-up did not go away. Edits to Season page did not go live. For a week! Finally I cleared Hummingbird and it fixed.

SUSTANY.ORG nothing changed at all, I even deleted the entire theme via FTP and I was STILL getting the old site on the home page and all pages when logged out.

ALLUREBYGREATONS.COM menu, etc not updating

THEATRE TAMPA BAY notes from programmer TODAY! ***

There seems to be a _lot_ (unexpected) going on with the setup of your web host/service.

Quite possibly both some unexpected redirection logic in place, as well as caching of pages that it isn’t obvious can be deactivated without knowing what hosting provider and .

Debug logging is apparently disabled by your hosting provider, so I can’t even troubleshoot what’s going on.

At this point, I’ve spent 4 hours today trying to get your site to function as expected (which puts the amount of time I’ve invested for the “Do It For Me” service you purchased at over 15 hours in total).

A couple of things you need to check:

Is your hosting provider caching all pages. If so, you’ll need them to deactivate caching for _all_ PMPro pages + the Theme My Login pages + the E20R Directory for PMPro pages.

Additionally, you need to make sure there isn’t DB caching that’s getting in the way as well (seems like either DB and/or page caching is why the member directory search isn’t working as expected).

Lastly, they need to allow the site admin to configure debug logging so it’s possible to actually troubleshoot the site…

// Thomas

On 19/06/10 5:49 AM, WPMU DEV Community wrote:

> There is a new post on [Hummingbird Pro automatic cache cleaning after editing site.]

>

> Reply by: Adam Czajczyk

>

> Hi Dewey

> I hope you’re well today!

> I checked your chat in order to get a better picture of the case but I’ll still want to ask you for additional clarification. Let me first explain what Hummingbird does and is supposed to do with the cache.

> By default, whenever you edit/update a page or post, the Page Cache should be update for that post/page. This is “out of the box”. However, there are cases when it’s not enough – for example if you’re pulling posts to a homepage or some other place. When you visit edited post you should see changes but when you visit homepage, those changes might not be visible right away.

> I agree that’s a bit of a trouble. But there’s an option for this already built-in. If you go to the “Hummingbird -> Caching -> Page Caching” page you’ll find “Clear full cache when post/page is updated” option there and enabling it would help in such cases.

> This basically causes Hummingbird to automatically clear all cache if any post is updated – so, if I correctly understand, it’s what you are now doing manually.

> You’re using Elementor but the Asset Optimization in Hummingbird is disabled – so that option should do the job in such case. I see it being enabled though but you still need to go to “Hummingbird -> Dashboard” page and click on “Clear cache” there, right?

> Is this happening for all type of content on the site or just some (like e.g. Elementor Templates or some specific page(s) on site)? Also, what kind of changes are those? I mean: while editing with Elementor you can e.g. only change the text or image in the post but you also can edit layout, colors, fonts and so on.

> I’m asking all this because I want to make sure if we are dealing here with an actual new feature or rather some glitch/bug/incompatibility that needs to be addressed.

> Kind regards,

> Adam

>

>

> https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hummingbird-pro-automatic-cache-cleaning-after-editing-site#post-1405122

>

>

>

> Please do not reply to this notification via e-mail. All replies should be made on the forum thread.

> ==============================================================

> Unsubscribe – Stop receiving notifications from this thread:

> https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/hummingbird-pro-automatic-cache-cleaning-after-editing-site?unsubscribe=235769#post-1405122

> ==============================================================

>

>

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Dewey

Thank you for your response!

Are all the sites on the same (either literally the same or at least same parameters and/or hosting provider) host? I’m asking about it because you said one very important thing:

It seems even if I turn OFF Hummingbird, her cache remains until I clean it out

This means that there’s additional cache involved, most likely server site. Let me first explain a bit more how Hummingbird’s Page Cache works.

When a user requests a site, your Hummingbird plugin checks if it’s got required pages saved on the server disk as cache file or not. If it does, it serves them back to the user. If it does not, uncached page is served to the user and a cache file is created.

This is, in a very basic way, a process of creating kind of a “static version” of your site stored on server’s disk. The entire process happens within WordPress and server itself is not really involved in any other way than it usually is when serving WP sites. In other words, “from the server point of view” Hummingbird’s cache is no different to any other file stored there – any WP core file, any file that you manually upload etc.

Hummingbird handles that all dynamically. It means that if it detects that a cached version of the page can be served, it replaces all necessary data “on the fly”. It does not do any permanent changes to your WordPress core files, to the theme or plugins etc. Regardless whether cached version of the page was created or not, if the plugin is disabled it cannot serve cached pages – it’s just technically impossible.

Unless… And that’s the “catch”. Unless there’s another “layer” of cache, working on a more “basic” level, that just “caches everything”. That’s often the case with a server-side cache: it can “cache cached site”. Basically: it writes to its cache the page that was already served from Hummingbird’s (or any other plugin of that kind for that matter) Page Cache.

In such case, even if you disable Hummingbird, still that cached page will be served.

That being said, I’m nearly sure that this is the issue in this case. I’m not sure who you’re hosting with but the “ALLUREBYGREATONS.COM” seems to point to Liquid Web platform, so that suggests that you’re either hosting directly with them or with some reseller of their services.

Liquid Web, as far as I know, does cache on a server level. There’s probably either Varnish or Squid (which is more of a proxy solution but it does some caching as well) active, though there might also be some other tool working too. I’m sorry but I’m not that familiar with their services.

I do, however, think that it would be best now to either check server management panel (probably cPanel or similar) to see if there are any cache options that could be used to purge such cache and disable it (and if yes – do purge and disable) . If there’s none, could you please get in touch with your host and ask them if there are any caches whatsoever enabled for your sites and if there’s any way to purge and, possibly, disable them?

Best regards,

Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.