[Hummingbird Pro] Hummingbird - caching for logged in users (WooCommerce)

would it be possible to tweak the caching for "Include logged in users" option to be role specific?

i'm specifically referring to Admin vs Customers (WooCommerce).
- when i'm logged in as admin, our main catalog page takes several seconds to load.
- when i'm not logged in (incognito mode), it loads in less than 1 second
- when i'm logged in as a customer, it (again) takes several seconds

when the "Include logged in users" is activated, the page load time is fast for everyone, but i'm fearful that something on the site isn't going to quite work correctly when that setting is on (the site is simply too massive to verify what is/isn't working, especially after updating plugins/etc)

i'd like to believe that there has to be a happy medium that'd allow for the additional caching performance benefit for the customers, that wouldn't end up creating a potential 'admin cache glitch'.
(just a thought, but even if we could add a few lines into wp-config for the time being to adjust this setting would be an amazing start)
###

"Clear full cache when post/page is updated"
and secondly, on the woocommerce note (my apologies for not creating a second ticket)...

there's WAY too many scheduled tasks and background updates happening all the time. i don't have "hard proof" that these background actions are clearing the cache, but it certainly feels as though they are.

having additional sub-settings on "Clear full cache when post/page is updated" would be super nice. we have nearly 100k products in our catalog. having all that cache cleared out whenever there's a new product added or anything is edited (orders, products, pages, etc) REALLY slows things down.
99% of the time, the only changes/additions that we're making are adding new products and processing orders. it seems a little redonkulous that 90k+ pages are cleared from cache when there's only a handful that are actually effected by the update (at most, i'd estimate maybe 1-2k)

for hummingbird to really make some magic happen, these 2 issues really need to be modified for us to truly take advantage of the plugin's performance offerings.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi splaquet,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

would it be possible to tweak the caching for "Include logged in users" option to be role specific?

I do understand what you meant and do see this could be a handy feature to cache based on roles. I'll make sure to bring this into our team's attention so that we could look into the possibilities of implementing such feature dow the roadmap.

having additional sub-settings on "Clear full cache when post/page is updated" would be super nice. we have nearly 100k products in our catalog. having all that cache cleared out whenever there's a new product added or anything is edited (orders, products, pages, etc) REALLY slows things down.

Hummingbird also allows clearing HB cache per each page/post as shown in the following screenshot:

You could use that feature to purge cache for any specific pages, instead of enabling "Clear full cache when post/page is updated" option.

I hope that helps. Have a nice day ahead.

Regards,
    Nithin

• splaquet
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Happy to hear that role based enabling was well received!

The cache purging isn't something that I really need the help with. It's really more for my client, who handles most of his own updates. Teaching him how to create new products took about 6 months. I don't feel comfortable throwing too much at him, because he often forgets.

He says he takes notes, but he is 70+ years old... so some settings are a matter of "leave as is" or "expect phone call when he can't figure it out".

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi splaquet,

Our team did give a look regarding the aspects of user roles, however, I'm afraid, user roles are part of WordPress, and page cache needs to determine what to serve without the use of WordPress, so there isn't an easy workaround to base it on roles. We are still looking at the possibilities of bringing more improvements down the roadmap.

The cache purging isn't something that I really need the help with. It's really more for my client, who handles most of his own updates. Teaching him how to create new products took about 6 months. I don't feel comfortable throwing too much at him, because he often forgets.

I'm afraid it's not clear what exact sub-settings you are looking other than the mentioned one. The issue you have stated occurs because "Clear full cache when post/page is updated" is enabled.

Doesn't keeping the mentioned option disabled help in such context then? If the mentioned option is disabled, the only way to clear cache is by going to each page, and post and manually clearing the cache.

I do understand that such a workflow might be confusing for the client, but at the moment I'm afraid this is the default workflow. If you do have any specific workflow or improvement you think would fix better please do let us know, and I'll make sure to bring into our team's attention. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

• splaquet
      • The Incredible Code Injector

No worries. Just thought it would be an idea that might speed things up for our customers.

On one hand, they're served super fast pages if they purchase as a guest. On the other hand, they don't have access to the advanced features that customers with accounts have. I'll turn on guest purchases for the time being, to kinda A/B test things.

###

I'm a little confused though. You say that cache needs to serve independently from WordPress... so how is there an on/off option to serve cached files to logged in users?

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi splaquet,

so how is there an on/off option to serve cached files to logged in users?

There are WP cookies for logged in users that could be checked with pure PHP, hence the option for on/off switch.

Similarly, there are also cookies for WooCommerce that are checked too. However, based on user roles is something our team is checking is possible or not down the roadmap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.