[Hummingbird Pro] Loss / changes of settings

Hi,

This bug happens every week (i scheduled the updates 3 times a week).
Randomly, the plugins I update:
– succeed to update but change some settings
– fail to update, some most of the plugin files are removed and it gets disabled

It happened again on 4 websies this week, probably monday morning.
Since there is no log, it’s hard to reproduce. You should really do something about these automated updates.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello LIJE

I hope you’re well today!

I’m very sorry to hear about the issues!

I must say though that it’s not a common issues. I’m assuming that you’re referring to the automated updates as in “updates performed by Automate from The Hub”, is that right?

The way it works is not really like The Hub pushing update to the site – it’s not uploading files to it and making changes. The Automate is a “schedule” tool that connects with the site. Through the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin it checks if there are any updates necessary on site (in case of our plugins it only checks what versions are installed on site; in case of any other plugins it simply takes data from WordPress itself – it’s core update tools).

If there are updates necessary “tells WPMU DEV Dashboard to tell WP to run updates”. All in all, the update itself is actually performed by WP.

There might be some other issues involved and I’m not saying that it’s WP that’s failing but to be able to solve this, we’ll first need to identify why this is happening. Let me ask some additional questions then:

1. the plugins that are affected – are those only our plugins or some other plugins as well?
    2. are these always the same plugins or that’s kind of “random” too?
    3. are all the sites that are affected hosted on the same or at least similar servers/hosting accounts?
    4. are there any big differences in these site’s configurations, especially if it comes to any security and/or performance optimization plugin and tools such as server-side caching?
    5. was it happening for you from the beginning when you started using Automate for automated updates or was it working fine at first and started only at some point in time?

Let me know, please.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• LIJE
    • Flash Drive

Hi

1/ So far, we detected that the effected plugins were humminbird, defender, forminator.

2/ We don’t check our configuration often. Once it’s done, we don’t go back. But for example sometimes after the updates, i’m gerring email reports or notifications which I always disable. So I changed back again the configuration. More recently, it has been defender which had settings changed. But all of it is random, on site A it can be defender, on site B it can be humminbird.

3/ No, it happens on several servers / hosts which don’t have the same configuration.

4/ Most of the website use the same theme (X Pro), latest WP, about 10 of your plugins.

5/ Yes, I already created a ticket (or spoke to one of your developer) about it when I started to use Automate weeks ago. I’m not sure to have experienced this with InfiniteWP. Also I don’t check the websites after each updates. I got too many websites.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi LIJE ,

I have found your other ticket here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/update-everything-in-hub-removes-everything-inside-plugin-director/ but we never heard back from you there.
    Can you try disabling Automate on one of your sites that has pending updates, enable the debug log as explained in your other ticket and then perform the update via Dashboard > Updates panel in your WP admin.

See if the issue happens again and if there’s debug.log file in your wp-content folder, if it is change the extension to .txt and attach it here so we can check it out and see if any further information is logged there.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• LIJE
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

Again this morning. All Security Tweaks and Mask Login Area have been changed on aloehorse.com.
    It’s getting really boring…

I can’t set the debug on all website and wait for a bug. I just can’t… Got no time for this.

Can you disable automate on all my websites please?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Lije,

When did this update happen? I see that you have Defender 2.2 installed and this version did have an issue with login masking but the plugin was pulled down shortly after the release and yesterday we had release of 2.2.2 that doesn’t have this problem.

Any other sites updating to 2.2.2 will not have this issue anymore, however, on the sites where you did get 2.2 version installed you would need to re-activate masking.

As for the Security Tweaks, are you sure that everything got reverted, we introduced additional tweaks with 2.2 so it might that you’re only seeing those new ones?

I can’t set the debug on all website and wait for a bug. I just can’t… Got no time for this.

I’m sorry if my previous reply was unclear, I was trying to say to disable Automate on one of the sites that has pending updates, enable debug log, and perform the update from the Hub.
    That should give us some information on why this is happening on your installations.

Can you disable automate on all my websites please?

As I mentioned above, the Defender issue was specific to that release and it was a known issue, and getting a debug log should help us out to figure this out but I also checked Automate logs which don’t mention Defender update on the date 2.2 was released so this seems to be updated in a different way so the issues you are having don’t seem to be related to Automate.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• LIJE
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

For the 50 websites, it happens on monday, thursday and sometimes sunday. You can check and tweak anything you need to on my websites.

I’m not doing updates manually that often. On WPMU I got about 50 websites and I got about 70 on InfiniteWP. I’m doing all in bulk then I checking time to time all the websites behave.

The mask login feature is specific to very few websites. I might have to check this, indeed. I had to reset the custom url on all of them.
    But all the tweaks about XMLRPC, PHP execution, WordPress REST API, etc. and reset very often.
    Is it also related to Defender 2.2?
    We also these both issues at least twice. I’m not sure 100% because you added some tweaks I didn’t have before.

The other issue I had is about the module folder content that gets deleted.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Lije,

I didn’t see any reports for 2.2 update other than login URL, and from your list WordPress REST API was included with latest release so it couldn’t have been enabled prior to that.

Can you check one of the sites that were affected with this update and provide me with a full list of the tweaks that are currently shown as disabled or did you have all tweaks enabled before update?
    I would like to do a test on my site by enabling all of the listed ones and then update to the latest version and see if I could replicate this issue.

The other issue I had is about the module folder content that gets deleted.

Can you tell me a bit more about this issue, what module folder are you referring to exactly?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.