[Hummingbird Pro] What does hbp compress and load changes if "Enable advanced mode" disab

Documentation is not clear on what exactly HBP does if the Enable advanced mode is disabled. In asset optimization.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Lee,

With basic mode, you will have an option only to compress your files (minimize them) if they are not already minimized.

With Advanced Mode you will unlock additional options like Combine and Move to the footer, for CSS files you will also have an option to load it as inline CSS and for JS files you will be able to force load files after the content is loaded.

Configuring advanced options would give you more control over your files so the files can be optimized for best results.

Note that some of the files might not handle certain optimization properly, depending on how the files are coded and which plugins and theme you have running on your site so be careful while confinguring optimization in advanced mode and check your site after each change to make sure that the site is running fine after optimization.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Lee
    • Syntax Hero

i only ask about basic mode. since it was not documented i figured it did very little.

so hbp does no real ai work. this tool is all manual and trial and error.

other tools like Auto Optimize seem to do more ai and provide automatic configuration. i have not used it but their docs imply more automation.

i have done the manual steps and it takes way to Long to get right and one little change to a theme and it breaks without knowing it.

do you have any knowledge of real automation plugins for this task?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Lee,

Hummingbird does indeed require manual setup for Asset Optimization, and while this might be time-consuming to configure it can give you the best results once set up, compared to automated tools.

Each site is pretty much unique when it comes to files that are used since every site has its own combination of plugins and theme.

And Asset Optimization is usually a one-time thing, once your site is out of development status you can configure the optimization and leave it at that.

Best regards,

Predrag

• Lee
    • Syntax Hero

I am not sure what world your in but my sites and theme internals change often due to vendors keeping up to date. So it is never a one time thing. Every update forces retest of all the elements of a site just for css, js changes that may or may not impact the optimization.

If I can do it by hand then a little bit of AI in a plug-in could do the same.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Lee

I hope you’re doing fine today!

In most cases after updates there’s no need for significant changes, usually just slight changes – except for some major updates. I’m not saying it’s the “ultimate rule” of course and it’s not the same for each and every site but I can give you a simple example: I got automatic updates on my personal hobby site (run by automate), I spent significant amount of time fine-tuning Asset Optimization on it about a year ago or so and actually I had no need to touch that at all ever since.

Granted, I’m not using any “builders” type of tools there and any complex “all in one” themes or plugins. Still though, there’s been tons of updates meanwhile.

I agree that’s an “extreme example” but with 93/100 (mobile/desktop) PageSpeed score there’s really not much room for any improvements. Even though this configuration was updated since configured but Asset Optimization wasn’t touched at all for over a year.

With other sites it might be completely different though. Especially if they are using “builders”, lots of plugins and/or complex theme/plugins. it’s individual but for the same reason it’s that difficult to automate such configuration.

I totally understand and agree with your point about “a bit of AI” but believe me please when I say that it’s not as simple as some other “optimization plugins’ developers claim”, I can tell that from experience.

However, that all being said, let me just add something that, I believe, you’ll consider good news now :slight_smile: Our developers are, in fact, looking into bringing “some” automation/”ai” into this in future. It wouldn’t be anything that would fully replace current “way” of configuring Asset Optimization as the key point is to give you (and retain in future) full, granular control over the AO process – but we’re looking into possible options on how to “automate” at least basic configuration/adjustments a bit in future.

Best regards,

Adam

• Lee
    • Syntax Hero

It seems with over a hundred sites something is always broken with css / js files. Most of the popular themes send updated or new frameworks often causing Meerkat :pouting_cat: high alerts.

I look forward to an updated HBP. Will evaluate some others in the mean time.

thank you

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.