Hummingbird, Remove Query Strings From Static Resources

For most our sites that are using Hummingbird, we are running into some issues regarding:

-Remove Query Strings From Static Resources
-The following publicly cacheable, compressible resources should have a "Vary: Accept-Encoding" header: (then a long list)

We have found a plugin called "Remove Query Strings From Static Resources" that seems to work well, but I'd like to make a formal request to have this built into Hummingbird to avoid us from having to install additional plugins. Can this be done?

Now regarding the Vary: Accept-Encoding, any solutions for this?

    Kasia Swiderska

    Hello Matthew,

    We have found a plugin called "Remove Query Strings From Static Resources" that seems to work well, but I'd like to make a formal request to have this built into Hummingbird to avoid us from having to install additional plugins. Can this be done?

    I will move your thread to Features&Feedback section of our forum - more members supporting this idea bigger chances that it will be implemented in future releases.

    Now regarding the Vary: Accept-Encoding, any solutions for this?

    Did you enabled gzip compression in Humminbird? It should add in the htaccess

    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    <FilesMatch "\.(js|css|xml|gz)$">
    Header append Vary Accept-Encoding
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

    If yes, can you check if htaccess file it is in the file?

    kind regards,
    Kasia

    Nithin

    Hi Matthew,

    Hope you are doing good today.

    This happens with when your server mixes up the cache, and hence serving different cached version, could you please try adding the following code as mentioned by Kasia in your .htaccess file, and check whether it works:

    <IfModule mod_headers.c>
    <FilesMatch "\.(js|css|xml|gz)$">
    Header append Vary Accept-Encoding
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>

    Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look. Have a nice day.

    Kind Regards,
    Nithin

    Matthew

    Thanks Nithin. We have added it and have the site in queue to be crawled again.

    Perhaps you can shed light on another topic that I feel may be tied together. We are running into a lot of issues with getting Hummingbird and Defender working properly. The problem may be that we are using Godaddy's Manage Wordpress on 90% of our sites. Godaddy has told us they use a cache system (though with our testing, it hasn't been very good), and that they are a CDN (though again, when we put a site on MaxCDN we see massive gains).

    We now have your plugins and are seeing decent improvements but run into issues not only with SEO but a few other things here and there. Right now, we also lost the ability to upload plugins through Wordpress. It is requiring us to FTP in and that is not a suitable solution for our team. Can you tell me what was done that caused that and how do we reverse it?

    Nithin

    Hi Matthew,

    Hope you are doing good today.

    I'm not sure, it may depend upon hosting plan, but I suppose GoDaddy have a caching script stored in your /mu-plugins folder. If you are looking to disable the default cache, you could try renaming the /mu-plugins folder in order to exclude your website from caching. It's something which I'm not sure, but would recommend you to test, and check how that goes. You can find the folder located under /wp-content/mu-plugins

    Right now, we also lost the ability to upload plugins through Wordpress. It is requiring us to FTP in and that is not a suitable solution for our team. Can you tell me what was done that caused that and how do we reverse it?

    I checked both your website dashboard, and tried to install, and upload plugins through the WordPress dashboard, and it was working alright, without any issue.

    Is it some other website, that you are having issues with? Since you did mention that the the issue wasn't present before, would recommend you to run a plugin conflict test, so that we could rule out whether a plugin is causing this issue. Defender has hardening rules which does place many limitation, but I don't see any such restriction regarding plugin update.

    You could check in your wp-config.php file, for any such declarations like:
    define( 'DISALLOW_FILE_MODS', true );

    If yes, removing this code would make sure that you are able to perform plugin updates. If you still have issue, please enable support access, so that we could give a closer look.

    I hope this helps. Please let us know if you still need any further assistance. Have a nice day.

    Kind Regards,
    Nithin