Hummingbird seems to be having real issues (defender to a leser extent)

Hi Gurus,

In the last few days on a number of sites, performance has been hit hard (page load times on admin side and front end). The sites are hosted on SiteGround. After doing the usual all plugins deactivate and step wise reactivate, it seems to me that Hummingbird, once activated drags my site down. I start getting Gateway Timeouts on every single Admin activity. I've tested the other plugins, none of them seem to affect performance.

With Defender, I've been getting a constant "cURL error 6: name lookup timed out" on the dashboard page.

If you can take a look I would be grateful. Sites I've noticed problems on: <-- biggest problems

Thank you kindly,

  • Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

    Hello Shannon,

    I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

    I tried to access your sites but it seems that support access has either expired or something went wrong during the process and it's not fully enabled. Could you please enable it again for me? If it says it's enabled, please disable it and enable again and let me know here when it's done.

    Kind regards,

  • Shannon Routley
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

    Hi Adam,

    Thank you kindly for following up with this ticket. After working with SiteGround, an agent cleaned out the htaccess file with just the barebones WordPress snippet. With an empty htaccess humingbird seemed to start behaving as expected.

    I then re-added the hummingbird code for gzip and caching and things to be working again.

    There were two snippets from the htaccess that might have contributed, but I don't speak server so I don't know.
    One was a snippet to redirect for 403s ( I never added it) and another was a deny command to a SiteGround URL that the technician said they add when a WordPress script starts making too many requests.

    I'll close this ticket for now.


Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.