hummingbird - site slow

My site is running slow - and the issues that hummingbird is pointing too are a little above my pay grade - I have clients on this multi-site so don't want to make a mistake. Is there someone I can hire? Don't think it's a big job....

• Dimitris

Hey there kathrynjones,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

Could you please grant us with support access to your website so we could further inspect HB recommendations?
    You can do so via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin as described here (no need to share credentials):
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-4

As we can't provide any kind of extensive custom work though, and if this is urgent for you, feel free to post a job post in our Jobs & Pros section (no WPMUDEV staff included).
    Ref: https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-7

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Kathryn!

Thank you for granting access. I checked the site and it seems that most of possible "tweaks" are already in place.

Hummingbird suggest enabling "Browser Caching" but since you already have CloudFlare implemented setting that up on site's side wouldn't make much difference as an end-user never reaches your server directly anyway and CloudFlare supports browser caching. You might however login to your CloudFlare account and make sure that "Browser caching" is enabled there.

Another thing that Hummingbird reports is the "Removing render blocking resources". That score can be improved on your side however it requires Hummingbird's "Minification" to be enabled in order to minify and combine JS scripts and CSS files and move as many of them as possible to site's footer.

The "tricky part" here is that enabling it may "out of the box"... break the site. This is because "Minification" is a complex process and may require some additional configuration. In case of Multisite it's even more difficult because it would have to be tweaked for each of the sites of the network.

It would be best if you could do this yourself because you know your site(s) best and you are able to better/faster find out whether the site works fine or not. The procedure would be as follows:

1. First step would be to enable "minification" at all by going to "Network Admin -> Hummingbird -> Dashboard" and switching "Minification" to "Only Super-Admins can minify" and also enabling "Store my files on WPMU CDN" option (to speed up JS/CSS resources loading).

2. Then you would want to go to the dashboard of your main site to the "Hummingbird" page and and at the same time open the site in another browser (where you are not logged in to the site) and see if it works fine. If it's not, note down the issues.

3. Then repeat this process for each of the sub-sites.

If sites work fine, than just leave "Minification" enabled. If not, let me know about the sites that broke and what exact issues are and I'll check it to see how could we re-configure minification.

Then if that doesn't help much, I think some more in-depth site re-configuration might be needed or even moving it to other host but that's something that you might want to hire help for as it would be a bit outside the scope of this forum.

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.