Hummingbird Slows Down My Site

Hello, having a hard time setting up Hummingbird, can only seem to make it slow down my site lol. So far all I've done is enable gzip compression and let it combine and minify files at it sees fit. Google Pagespeed Insights shows scores 5-6 points lower when Hummingbird is active vs inactive.

I can't see why compressing and combining files can make a site slower. Has this happened before? Is there any documentation that might be able to help?

In a related issue, I originally downloaded this plugin to defer a couple of js files that are slowing down my site. I don't see them on Hummingbird's list of files available for defering. Is it still possible to defer these files with Hummingbird?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey Zack,

Hope you're doing well today :slight_smile:

Minification can be a bit tricky tool and requires some additional tweaking depending on the theme and plugins that you have installed on your site.

Some theme/plugin files don't handle this well and can break or take longer time to load if you minify them, combine them with other files or change its loading position.
    So you will need to play around with this options in order to get best results for your specific installation.

Also, even though Google does like that you have files minified and combined it doesn't like when combined file is too large, so try disabling Combine option for one or more largest files and see if you get better results after that.

In a related issue, I originally downloaded this plugin to defer a couple of js files that are slowing down my site. I don't see them on Hummingbird's list of files available for defering. Is it still possible to defer these files with Hummingbird?

Can you tell us which files you are referring to?

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Zack
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Predrag,

Thanks for the advice! I'm using the DIVI theme, any known problems with it with regards to minification?

The file that I can't seem to find in the list is /wp-includes/js/jquery/jquery.js

Thanks again,

Zack

• Anton Vanyukov
    • Developer

Hi Zack,

Can you please share the screenshots of 'before' and 'after' in Google PageSpeed Insights?

jQuery files were removed from minification intentionally, because doing something with these files was causing many of the sites to break.

I also noticed that you are using other plugins for optimization. Enabling same functionality in different plugins can slow down the website.

Best regards,
    Anton

• Zack
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Autoptimize was added after I deactivated Hummingbird because it gave me better results. I've tested the site with each one running on their own, and them both together. I've also tweaked Hummingbird a few times and couldn't get it to produce as good a result as I was getting from Autoptimize so I think I'll just delete it for now.

Thanks for your help,

Zack

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello there Zack,

hope you're doing good today and don't mind me chim in here! :slight_smile:

If you don't mind, please share the screenshots of 'before' and 'after' in Google PageSpeed Insights, so our developer Anton Vanyukov could have a look and further investigate this.

As for using multiple plugins for speed improvement, keep in mind not to use the same functionalities in these, for example Minification of CSS and JS files should be handled only from one plugin, as multiple plugins can cause slower responses or even broken parts in frontend.

Finally, to better review your website, please consider granting us support access via WPMUDEV Dashboard plugin (no need to share user credentials) as shown in our documentation pages here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Jessica Adams
    • New Recruit

Hey Zack,

I use Hummingbird as well and didn't even think to check out the page speed after I installed?! We're so trusting, us techies :wink:

I'm sorry you're struggling with this and hope that you received some support in this awesome thread of replies. I'm new here and about to write my first post in the community....maybe you can help me?

Best,
    Jessica

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there Jessica Adams

Welcome aboard!

If your issue is not directly related to the one reported in the original post of a topic, we ask that you create your own support topic for your issue.

This prevents sending unrelated & unnecessary notifications to the member who reported the issue.

Thanks for your understanding!

• Zack
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Dimitris,

Yes, I wasn't running both plugins simultaneously. Autoptimize gave me better results easier so I'm gonna stick with it for now. Maybe when I have more time I will look into Hummingbird further but I've put too much time into trying to get it to work for now.

Thanks,

Zack

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.