Hummingbird tells me to optimize images but they still are

Hi guys,

Hummingbird tells me that my images are only smushed by 9%, but when navigating into hummingbird it tells me everything has been already smushed. Is there any reason why Hummingbird still says I would have to smush images? Thanks and best wishes! Hubertus

• Nahid

Hey Hubertus !
    Hope you are having a great day!

Well, Smush is reporting all images has been 'smushed' according to the settings you've defined for them. When you change any settings, the images will require smushing again.

To be clear and cut out any confusion, Smush and Hummingbird doesn't directly interact with each other. Smush works according to the settings you set into it. And Hummingbird's Performance Report shows the page speed scores according to the original page loading speeds.

Regarding the Hummingbird Performance Test's 'Optimize Images' section, all the images are requiring 'Compressing and Resizing', this means the dimensions of the images are scaled down in your content compared to the actual dimensions. In this case, it is recommended to crop/resize the images first according to the required dimensions by your content and then use them. Please refer to the following screenshot:

Hope this helps. Let me know if this works for you and if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid

• Hubertus

Hi Nahid,

still experiencing this issue on our client's webpage http://www.huber-naturstein.com
    I granted access to your supporter Sohag Ronjon Dey. I had a live chat with him but the connection timed out very often. Would be awesome if you could have a look.

Its not about resizing, its about compressing but Smush says that all images have been compressed already. Is there anything we can do about it?

Thanks! Hubertus

• Dimitris

Hello there Hubertus,

hope you're doing good and don't mind chiming in here! :slight_smile:

I've just accessed your website and inspected the Performance Report of HummingBird, as well as your Smush settings.

By default, Smush only compresses the thumbnails versions of images, not the original image file.
    As most of the reported images don't have appended any dimensions in their filenames, it's about these full-sized images. In order to smush these, go to Media -> WP Smush and enable the "Smush my original full-size images" option. After doing so, bulk smush your images once more and re-run a Performance Report in HummingBird.

I can also see some reported images with dimensions of 100x50px, it seems that Smush can't see this thumbnail version though. Could you narrow down from where this thumbnail size is coming from? This should be either active theme or some plugin.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.