Hummingbird tells to smush images, that already are smushed

Hi!
I have installed Humminbird and Smush Pro plugins and ran the entire library optimization (about 14000 images). This worked well.
Now - i run Hummingbird test again and it tells me to smush the images, that are already smushed. This, Hummingbird, says, impacts the speed score drastically.

I have also the "force regenerate thumbnails" plugin installed. Dont know, if it needed with the latest WP theme, actually.

Your advice would be welcome and appreciated :slight_smile:

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Andrew,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Have you made any changes to Smush settings?

This may cause such a message. For example, if you smush all images with default settings and then enable "Super-smush my images" option the plugin will detect that images that were previously smushed could be optimized even more.

Also, I'm not sure about the "force regenerate thumbnails" plugin but if it did created new thumbnails it would mean additional images and those may be detected as needing sumsing as well.

That being said, unless you changed smushing options you could give these steps a try:

1. On "Media -> WP Smush" page run "Re-check" images; if this was just a "glitch" it should report that images were already smushed and solve the issue

2. On the same page simply run smushing again; if a particular image cannot be optimized more, it will be skipped and won't be included in that report anymore. As I already mentioned, if smush settings weren't changed, it won't "double-smush" images.

It's always safer though to create a backup of /wp-content/uploads/ folder before the operation.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Dimitris

Hey there Andrew,

hope you're having a beautiful day and don't mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

I just had a closer look in your website and Smush seems to act accordingly. I run a "recheck images", it found about 745 images that needed smushing, run the "bulk smush" for a while and I can now see 731 images every time I recheck or refresh page.

About the HummingBird Optimize Images score. The notices I can see are about "Compressing and resizing". Compressing is what you can handle with Smush, simply bulk smush your images and you should be good with this part. Resizing though, means that you should use exact image dimensions rather than using larger images in smaller wrappers/div etc.
    I quote from HummingBird -> Performance Report -> Optimize Images -> Improve Score

If any images in the list above recommend “Compressing and resizing”, that means their dimensions are scaled down in your content compared to the actual file dimensions. You can crop or scale those images using the WordPress image editor to match the embedded size in your content.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Andrew

Hi!

Thank you for the attention you have paid to my website!

Following your steps - i do the following:
    1) Re-check images. As a result - i see "you have 731 images that need re-compressing!"
    2) Bulk smush for a while (a couple of minutes). The result is: "you have 725 images that need re-compressing!"
    3) I re-check images again and see "you have 731 images that need re-compressing!"

This is the point, i can't get - if these 6 images got smushed, then, why the number after the re-check goes back to 731.

And, if it is normal, then - why don't all other 13K images return to "unsmushed" state.

I can install the "Force regenerate thumbnails" plugin and try to regenerate the whole library, but, will it help?

Thank you once again for the support!

• Milan

Hello Andrew ,

Hope you are well today and won't mind me chiming here. :slight_smile:

I just took a look at your site and noticed that now there are 1896 unsmushed images !! Have you used regenerate thumbnails recently ? Or have you done anything which could add these many images drastically ?

If you have not done anything and it happened on its own which is very less possible but if something like this has happened then please notify us immediately so we can fix this for you as soon as possible. !!

Have you good day. :slight_smile:
    Kind Regards,
    Milan

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Andrew,

Ok, I had another look at smush and HB results, according to HB it looks like all images are properly optimized but there is resize issue that is actually reported there.

Image optimization has two kinds of reports.

1. Losslessly compressing - This one's is telling that image can be optimized and that's what smushing does, and as you can see from HB report there are no such reports on your site

2. Compressing and resizing - This shows that the images are resized via HTML and CSS

The second one is what's shown in your results and that's because your theme is loading images larger than it's HTML holder, for example on your homepage Author Blog section there are 480x270 thumbnails loaded but the actual HTML holder of that image is 198x11 so the image is resized with CSS to fit in that holder.

Unfortunately this is not something Smush can deal with since the theme code is written in the way to call the larger image, and even though the image is compressed google doesn't like loading image larger than its holder, so this is something you need to check with the theme devs.

If Author Blog section had some new posts added that could have caused lower score as new images were being reported.

As for number of images that need smushing, do you perhaps have some kind of server side caching and if you do can you clear it after all images are smushed?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.