Hummingbird unable to generate a performance report

Hi,

I just installed Hummingbird a couple of minutes ago. The plugin was unsuccessful in running a Performance Report and rendered the following message:

“The performance test didn’t return any results. This probably means you’re on a local website (which we can’t scan) or something went wrong trying to access WPMU DEV. Try again and if this error continues to appear please open a ticket with our support heroes.”

Since I’m not on a local website, I’m coming to you for assistance. I’ve granted access to you through my WPMU Dev Dashboard.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kimberly,

I hope you’re well today and thank you for your question!

I have accessed your site and noticed that message. I then gave it another try and the scan completed successfully. I’m not sure if you made any changes to the site since you posted your question here but if the scan fails it’s always good to give it a moment and then try again.

That is because the scan is fetching your site like it was contacting it “from outside” so if a site/server hangs up for a second or there’s some communication temporary “glitch” that may happen.

If you weren’t able to run it again, let me know please.

Best regards,

Adam

• Kimberly Cohen
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Adam,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I’m glad it ran for you. It’s a puzzle to me, because I didn’t do anything after I submitted the ticket and I did try to run it a second time prior to requesting assistance.

I was wondering if you could help me understand now that a report has generated, why I’m getting a score of “0”. The biggest area of improvement appears to be in reducing the sizes of the images, but all my images have been Smushed through the WP Smush Pro plug-in and the system says they are up-to-date.

Can you see if I’m missing something?

I look forward to hearing from you soon again.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Kimberly Cohen,

hope you’re doing good and don’t mind chiming in! :slight_smile:

Even though the “0” score for “Optimize images” is a bit weird, the benchmarks in Hummingbird -> Performance Report -> Optimize Images [tab] show that there are images that’s being used in their full size.

Could you please try to go to Media -> WP Smush, activate the “Include my original full-size images” (and even “Super-smush my images”:wink:, recheck images, bulk smush and re-run the performace test of Hummingbird?

I look forward for your results on this!

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you so much for your response and suggestions. I'm in WP Smush right now. I've made the adjustments you suggested and re-ran the application.

After re-running the application the system stated that 98/98 images were super smushed; then when I clicked the Re-check Images button system indicated that there are images that need to be recompressed. I've re-run smush now three times yet this pattern keeps occurring. So…I'm at a loss as to what's going on.

Can you shed some light on this, please?

Thanks so much!

Kimberly

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

hope you were as happy as I am, seeing 87.1MB or 80.6% of total savings! :slight_smile:

That means that you score a score of 97 in HummingBird performance report, concerning image optimization. There seems to be only 3 images that Smush can’t be optimize as you can see in

/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-performance#rule-OptimizeImages

This should be happening because two of those are having a image size of 182px width which isn’t visible in Smush settings (most probably because standard WP methods haven’t been applied) and the third one is a .gif file that can’t be further optimized.

I can now see though, that 26 images need re-compressing and I wonder if this is a matter of caching. :thinking: Could you please make sure that there’s absolutely no caching involving (if any) from plugins, server side mechanisms, 3rd party services like Cloudflare, and give the bulk smush another shot?

I look forward for your results!

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Dimitris,

I hope you're having a lovely day.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry so quickly. I've been looking into the caching issue. Hummingbird isn't set to cache yet so there doesn't appear to be an issue there. I did clear Upfront's cache. All the other plugins don't appear to have a cache or at least none that I can find.

Hummingbird recommended that these three images need attention. I've found the first two (#1 & #2), but I'm unable to find the last one (#3) in the media library because it's part of the Upfront theme, and therefore probably is the image that displays in the theme section of the dashboard.

#1. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WS-By-Design_Branding-285×182-4500.jpg

#2. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WS%20By%20Design%20-%20Web-Design-279×182-2828.jpg

#3. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/themes/upfront/img/blank.gif

I'm confused, because when I look at the WP Smush stats they indicate that #1 & #2 have been optimized (see att'd). Additionally, WP Smush indicates I can smush images while in the media library, but I don't see how that can be done.

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Kimberly!

The image that is part of Upfront cannot be smushed/optimized with WP Smush Pro but Hummingbird will report it. That applies to other themes to. It is because Hummingbird scans the page as it was checking it “from outside” so it just detects images but doesn’t see if they come from theme or not.

If it was other (non-Upfront) theme and such image would be detected, the issue would be the same. It’s perfectly fine though as it’s an information for you rather than an indicator of WP Smush fail.

The idea is to let site developer/designer know that the images used for layout could be optimized by them so in this case you may simply ignore it. In other cases that suggests that either images should be “manually” optimized (e.g. re-compressed in Photoshop or other program of that kind) or that theme HTML should be tweaked so sizes of container elements (e.g. DIVs) would equal sizes of images.

As for the other two images. I checked the site and I think the issue here is what my colleague Dimitris already noticed. These images doesn’t seem to follow any of the available standard WP image sizes and are not visible in WP Smush. I’m not sure how they get there but I don’t see to see them in Media Library either. If they are “free floating” images that are not present in database (as Media Library elements) they won’t be seen by WP Smush.

Did you manage to find these particular images in Media Library? If yes, let me know please where they are as I may be missing something here.

Best regards,

Adam

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Adam,

Thank you for your response. Initially, I didn’t think images #1 and #2 were in the Media Library, because when I ran a search for their full names as given by Hummingbird, as listed below, I received a message “no media files found”.

#1. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WS-By-Design_Branding-285×182-4500.jpg

#2. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WS%20By%20Design%20-%20Web-Design-279×182-2828.jpg

However, I did find the following in the media library so I thought I’d located the images in question:

#1. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WS-By-Design_Branding.jpg

#2. http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WS By Design – Web-Design.jpg

Plus, when I hover over the images in question on the site, their URLs are matching with the information provided by Hummingbird:

#1 is on the home page, with the URL http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/WS-By-Design_Branding-285×182-4500.jpg

#2 is on the home page, with the URL http://wsbydesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/WS%20By%20Design%20-%20Web-Design-279×182-2828.jpg

Neither are used on any other page.

But you’ve raised a great point. The names provided by Hummingbird are not identical with the ones that are displayed on the site on the home page. Does that mean they’re not the same images?

Any insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

But you’ve raised a great point. The names provided by Hummingbird are not identical with the ones that are displayed on the site on the home page. Does that mean they’re not the same images?

The special %20 character you’re seeing there is actually an empty space and it’s being used in its UTF8 form because URLs cannot contain empty spaces. :wink:

Reference: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/ref_urlencode.asp

As you can see in one image edit screen page here

http://wsbydesign.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=1490&action=edit

the full size of the image is 650*435px while UF Editor scales that to a 279*182px size.

This isn’t any pre-made custom image size so that Smush can handle though.

Could you please try to resize those images locally to match the exact dimensions you need in your design, delete the old ones and use the new ones at their full size instead? This should surpass the HummingBird recommendation.

Finally I noticed that all other images in WP Smush page seem to be successfully smushed, no remaining ones there. :wink:

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you so much for responding so quickly. I did what you suggested and now Hummingbird is reporting all of my images as 100% optimized. Hurray! What’s puzzling though is that my overall performance score has gone down. Can you provide any suggestions about increasing my score?

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

hope you’re doing good!

I’m really glad that you managed a perfect score in image optimisation section! Congrats! :slight_smile:

What should you cover now is some cache mechanisms that will improve your server’s response time. As you can also see in Performance Report page here

http://wsbydesign.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wphb-performance

this can be done with:

– a cache plugin like WP Super Cache

– a fast PHP version like 7.0 with OPcache module enabled

– some object caching plugin like Redis or Memcached.

For all of these, apart from WP Super Cache plugin, you might have to contact and advise your hosting provider.

Warm regards,

Dimitris

• Kimberly Cohen

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you so much for your response and direction. I’ve installed WP Super Cache and ran a successful test. Everything looks good, but due to my limited knowledge I’ve not made any tweaks to the default settings.

Before contacting you last time, I did enable the Hummingbird Browser Cache. Should I disable it now that I have WP Super Cache?

Also, I just ran another Hummingbird Performance Test now that WP Super Cache has been installed and activated, and the score actually went down a point. I thought installing and activating it would help increase my score. Am I missing something?

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Sincerely,

Kimberly

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hello Kimberly :slight_smile:

Before contacting you last time, I did enable the Hummingbird Browser Cache. Should I disable it now that I have WP Super Cache?

WP Super Cache plugin doesn’t offer any kind of browser caching, so there shouldn’t be any issue here as there’s no overlapping functionalities between those plugins.

Also, I just ran another Hummingbird Performance Test now that WP Super Cache has been installed and activated, and the score actually went down a point. I thought installing and activating it would help increase my score. Am I missing something?

Increasing your performance score considering “server response time” isn’t as easy as installing a cache plugin I’m afraid, as it depends on other techniques as I stated in my previous reply and also depends heavily on the actual server infrastructure and the resources that disposes.

Take care,

Dimitris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.