Hummingbird + W3 or WP Super Cache

Dear Community,

it would be interesting to know if somebody has tried to combine Hummingbird with W3 or WP Super Cache Plugin, if yes then with which combination of settings and whats the result of that?

Note: Perhaps the first question should be if its recommended to combine it with a full caching plugin or not:slight_smile:

Regards,
Sam

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Sam

Hope you had a wonderful day.

if somebody has tried to combine Hummingbird with W3 or WP Super Cache Plugin

I have not tried them together personally yet, Hummingbird itself was enough to boost my test site performance. But I believe, other members have already tried this combination and they will share their experience regarding this, so I'm keeping this thread open.

Is there anything else we can help you with? We will be glad to help.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Huzaifah
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello. I have mixed the two, there are just a few notes that i find are worth considering in order to effectively boost site performance. Only use one type of each caching method at a time. For example, i would use Hummingbird Minify, and i would disable W3 Cache minify, as there can be conflicts. Same goes with other types of caching, like full page caching.

Each plugin has its own usage, Hummingbird for example caches in the browser, so content loads quicker once a viewer has already viewecd it. The other plugins use different types of caching methods like static and dynamic, which is server side. Other plugins like Siteground Cache use memcache where the caching is done from the database in order to reduce queries to the database.

I would suggest W3 total Cache as the best companion for Hummingbird, or if you are hosted on Siteground, then their all in one caching plugin (SGCache)

• Brent
    • WordPress Rocketman

I'll be watching this topic. I personally use WP Rocket for all my sites and client sites, and it is excellent. But I really am intrigued by Hummingbird. It has more flexibility for some things. Ideally, it would all be done in one plugin, but every ms that can be shaved off my load time and server resources, the better!

Brent

• Brent
      • WordPress Rocketman

How did you replace the page cache? Or did you just go without? I believe Hummingbird has browser cache only, but doesn't create a cached version of the site. Is that correct, or maybe I misunderstood?

I only ask because in an ideal world, you would have both. So I'm wondering if you used that feature in WP Super Cache or if you have another way of handling it? I use WP Rocket, which has been the best performance plugin I've used, and I don't mind combining the two. But obviously, using one plugin would be more ideal. Thanks.

Brent

• Leonard
        • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I did just go without page cache and continued with browser cache only.

The reason I replaced Super Cache is that I want just one plugin handling performance, and since this website is not heavy on content I figured I can do without page caching.

Cheers, Leonard

• Breklin
        • New Recruit

From what I can tell so far, Hummingbird doesn't appear to be turning anything on that is already on via W3TC. I'll have to look at WP Rocket. I host with A2 and they have their own optimization that includes a preconfigured install of W3TC which is complementary to their Turbo Platform.

• Breklin
    • New Recruit

Thanks for all of the advice. Here's what I did, as an experiment: I turned off browser caching and minification in W3TC and allowed Hummingbird to take over. I'm getting better scores on the performance report already. I'll follow up with more results as they come in.

• Rakesh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hey

I also used the three and got great results , but one click can goof up everything , as i was testing some codes and options and now i am trying to reach the goal of loading the site in 3 seconds but i am not able to achieve it come what may..

waiting for some one to help me

• Danny
    • Flash Drive

I'm using both on all my installs. Just make sure all Hummingbird features are disabled in W3 and you'll have no trouble with conflicts. Though I can't wait for Hummingbird to add page caching and HTML minify, which is the main reason I use W3 along-side!

I've attached the W3 config I'm currently using and can confirm it works flawlessly with Hummingbird.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.