[Hummingbird] White Screen

The plug in Hummingbird is practically unusable. I get the white screen 20 - 30 times in a row, refreshing over and over. Finally the Asset Optimization screen pops up, and I make my changes and click Publish -- and white screen again. Have to start all over. I have been working for over 2 hours to simply publish changes and cache. I have tried with all plug ins deactivated. I even installed the standard Twenty Nineteen theme -- and it crashes just as badly. I am so frustrated, I want to uninstall all your software and never look back. Unfortunately, I haven't yet found a replacement for the features I need. I know lots of people have this problem, but I have yet to see any real support on the issue from you guys (other than it's somebody else's fault). Please advise.

• Glendon
    • Flash Drive

Also -- I check the assets in Asset Optimization that I want to compress and publish and clear cache. Then, inexplicably, some of the ones I clicked to compress are back to white (unclicked). Sometimes I have to go thru this process 10 times to get everything to STAY clicked. And, considering it takes 20 to 30 refreshes just to do it ONCE --- you can see how insanely frustrating this is.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello Glendon

Really sorry to know that you are having issues with the plugin.

I think there are some errors produced when you were trying. Would you please to some troubleshoot?

Would you please enable debug mode and check if there is any error? To enable debug mode please go to wp-config.php and change

define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );

to

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

Then, right click on chrome browser, select inspect, select console, and try the HB page now. Replicate the white screen 2-3 times and check if you see any error on the console in red color.

That will may also create a file called debug.log inside wp-content folder. Open that file, check the very bottom and you will see the latest errors. Please send me those.

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• Glendon
    • Flash Drive

I turned on all the debug options, as you asked me to. The site's admin panel works fine --- except when trying to use your plugins, and those are practically non-functional now. But not a single error shows up in the console, and no debug log file was created.

See screen capture. You can see the page failed in Chrome, and behind it you can see the empty console log.

The site's front end will not come up either. J-query is not being loaded, even though in the Asset Optimization, it shows it should be included in the files being cached.

PS -- I have tried multiple times to "grant support access" so that you can go into the site. But, the site times out every single time. And again -- let me reiterate -- I can edit pages and work with other plug-ins with no issues whatsoever. But the moment I use anything by WPMUDEV, it crashes (Hummingbird, Defendor, etc)

• Glendon
    • Flash Drive

Also, the moment I deactivate Hummingbird, the site loads up just fine. If I try to run Hummingbird with NO other plug ins and Twenty Nineteen theme, it crashes. So I know the problem is Hummingbird, I just don't know why ... because I have not changed anything in my set up in months.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Glendon

The 504 error normally occurs when there is a gateway time out, one of the main reason is due to not having enough server resources.

We'll need to give a closer look at the site, and server side to have a better idea. Since you have mentioned that you aren't able to enable support access, could you please send us your websites credentials, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

- To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas
    -WordPress admin username
    -WordPress admin password
    -login url
    -FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    -link back to this thread for reference
    -any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Glendon
    • Flash Drive

It actually allowed me to give support access this time. https://blankenshiphvac.com

If you look at the UPTIME graph in Hummingbird, you will see what's going on. The TTFB ms hums along at a respectable 500-700ms most of the time, but then spikes to nearly 9000ms for a day or two... and then goes back to normal. This is happening on every single site that uses Hummingbird. AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. I'm attaching 2 such graphs, two completely different sites, one using a CDN, one NOT using a CDN -- both acting the same way.

When the TTFB spikes up high -- Hummingbird is unusable, I just get the 504 Gateway Timeout errors on every screen. When the TTFB goes back to normal, then Hummingbird works fine.

So I honestly don't know if Hummingbird is CAUSING the problem, or just being AFFECTED by it. I do know that if I disable Hummingbird during one of the times where TTFB is so high, the site does run better.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Glendon,

Extremely sorry for the delay due to high queue in fourms, I'm afraid, it seems like support access to your site got expired.

If you look at the UPTIME graph in Hummingbird, you will see what's going on. The TTFB ms hums along at a respectable 500-700ms most of the time, but then spikes to nearly 9000ms for a day or two... and then goes back to normal. This is happening on every single site that uses Hummingbird. AT THE EXACT SAME TIME. I'm attaching 2 such graphs, two completely different sites, one using a CDN, one NOT using a CDN -- both acting the same way.

I checked the logs of the Uptime for the menioned sites, and it's mostly pointing to 504 gateway error within the server. Such issues could happen, if the server isn't having enough resources.

Checking the TTFB at the moment it seems to be at 2.048, and seems to be pointing towards the server side. However, we'll have to see the issue live, and run couple more test to see what exact could be causing this.

If you could share the FTP , and WP admin login as mentioned in the previous reply, it would be helpful in check the resources, and other factors which would have caused this.

Looking forward to your response, so that we could help get this sorted asap. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.