Hummingbird reduced score from 96 to 81

We have tried disabling the recent plugins that caused this, and it still doesn't help much. Tried resetting the plugin, and re-doing the minification the best score I could get is 86. SG cache in the plugin, and via CloudFlare was disabled while testing this.

• Huberson

Hi Chris,
    Site performance rely heavily on browser caching that prevents the loading of the same resources on each page load, which appears to be disabled on your website.

Try to enable browser caching for these resources: CSS, JS, Images - from Hummingbird > Browser Caching setting.

If you have custom CSS you could also try to optimize them and use media query to load only needed style blocks. Optimizing your images and JavaScript will provide you good point in performance as well(super smush your images with WP Smush Pro).

Hope that solves the problem.

Best,
    Huberson

• Chris

The problem is not Browser Caching, because it is enabled on my end. If you look at GTmetrix, Pingdom, or Google Insight it will tell you that my Leverage Browser Caching is enabled. All my photos are smushed. For some reason your plugin isn't functioning correctly for my website. A huge problem that I'm seeing now is that your plugin doesn't recognize that my website is leveraging Browswer cache, and that when I do minifications your CDN files show up as render blocking when I have the WPMUDEV CDN feature disabled. I do NOT want it enabled I'm fine with the files being minified on my server.

• Huberson

Hi,
    Can you please make a backup of your site. I will then make some performance troubleshooting. Note that some plugins can also degrade your site performance greatly.

Also I have checked your website with Google Insight, GTmetrix, Pingdom and they also point to the same optimization fixes suggested by Hummingbird(Leverage browser caching, remove render-blocking JS).

A few things you can do, concatenating your JavaScript and CSS files to reduce the amount of request to render pages, use CSS Image Sprites for small images/icons to also reduce number of HTTP request and most importantly allow caching of media files.

I hope that help solves the problem.

Kind regards,
    Huberson

• Chris

Hey there,

The Leverage Browser Caching issue that pops up is for the heat-map, HotJar, and google Analytics. I didn't think that you could cache those since they're working in real time.

I just made a Back-up of my website. I already tested all the plugins twice. My site actually loads fairly quickly, I just want to get rid of the Cloudfront.net file that keeps appearing from the WPMUDEV CDN server, even after I have it disabled. I would prefer the combined scripts to load from my server instead. Feel free to do a performance test.

• Huberson

Hi,
    I have made a few tweaks but did not really improve much. I would suggest you install and configure WP Super Cache plugin. I think this should take care of your caching issue.

Since you don't want to serve you content over CDN, you can concatenate and minify Scripts and Styles whenever possible. Merge + Minify + Refresh and Fast Velocity Minify are handy plugins for that matter.

Please do let us know if that fixes the issue.

• Chris

I'm not sure if you noticed, but I already have SG Super Cacher Activated :smiley: What I'm confused about is the fact that the files show up from YOUR CDN when I have it turned off. Here's a Screenshot of what I mean. https://www.screencast.com/t/IYbxTfeVKBeH

I'm a bit confused. Are you recommending that I get more plugins that do the same thing a hummingbird? Or does Hummingbird not fully Minify things?

• Huberson

Hi,
    Unfortunately the link to the screenshot appears broken/timeout.
    WP Super Cache is not actually required but among recommended cache plugins to improve your server response time(your server responded in about 1.5s). SG Optimizer, as far as I can remember is optimized for SiteGround services, unless that's what you are using of course. Please do correct if I'm wrong.

If you check you home page with google Insight, the performance score is approximately the same as Hummingbird(75 - 76) with the same recommendations. There are about 67 requests just to load the front page.

The referred plugins are not replacement for Hummingbird but suggestion to help solving your specific issue. Please note that I'm trying to provide you with solution to solve the site performance issue, and without testing it's not really possible.

Though all optimization tests I made for your site using different tools report the same issue and propose the same recommendations as Hummingbird, if the problem is with Hummingbird itself I will push it right up to the developer in charge.

Best,
    Huberson

• Huberson

Hi Chris,
    I was able to get a score of 83 by tweaking the cache and minification but render blocking elements(JS, fonts) still hanging. Please try loading less fonts as possible(they are about 18) and see how much we gain from that.
    I'm not sure if the scripts loaded from cloudfront.net are related to Hummingbird CDN setting but I will check on that and let you know.

Basically the plugin should not interfere with Hummingbird. Note that they might not be required since the main source of performance drawback here now are render-blocking scripts/styles.

• Chris

Hey Huberson,

Anton, one of your developers said he was able to reproduce the issue on a test server, and they are your files.

As for the fonts, do you recommend any way to accomplish this? I was told to download a plugin called google web font optimizer by one of your colleagues hoping that it would fix the issue. Is it my theme? I thought google fonts was okay to use on websites. Would I actually have to load the fonts into my server so it's not getting them from Google api?

• Anton Vanyukov

You should reduce the number of fonts you are using. That will definitely help. Do you really need all these fonts?

'Open Sans:300,400,600,700,800:latin'
        'Raleway:100,200,300,400,500,600,700,800,900:latin'
        'Droid Serif:400,700:latin'
        'Raleway:400:latin'
        'Arimo:400:latin'
        'Roboto:500:latin'
        'Arimo:400:latin'
        'Antic:400:latin',
        'Antic Slab:400:latin'

Also hotjar analytics have a negative feedback on your performance. Basically, anything that you load from a 3rd party can potentially harm your performance.

But at the end, a score of 91 on Gtmetrix is a really good score!