Hunh? How does Classifieds exactly work?

Hi, it's probably me but I can't figure out the Classifieds plug-in. I'm having trouble creating a basic ad through the front end. I don't understand how to add new Tags or Categories .. and none are displayed in the default set-up. (See attached pic) Are the tags being pulled from existing WP posts or am I creating new ones?

The other question I have is how do you suggest users are notified of how to create an ad? Currently visitors who are not logged in do not see any options.

Thanks

The site is WP 3.3 Multisite, PHP 5.2, MySQL 5.1

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

Hi Mark,

Thanks for being a WPMU member!

I'll see if I can help you out on this:

I've consulted the Installation and Use Guide
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/classifieds/installation/

and found:

Using Classifieds:

Before setting up your first ad, you'll want to create a category (or several) for your ads. From the Categories page, select the "Create New Category" link beside the page title. Similar to post categories you can give it a name and description. Finally click "Save". You can also edit or remove any of your categories from the Classifieds>Categories page.

You should also be able to use the Installation guide to clear up any other coming issues when setting up as it explains the basics. There is also a thread referenced there for bug reports. :slight_smile:

The other question I have is how do you suggest users are notified of how to create an ad? Currently visitors who are not logged in do not see any options.

This sounds like two different questions. You would need to find a way to create an Ad or Notice to new visitors that you offer this capability and offer them registration. Registered users can use the widget or classified menu to manage Ads. (see the screenshots on the Classified Download page for an example)

You can also create new Tags by going to your Dashboard and clicking Classifieds > Tags

Best Regards,

Kimberly

If this thread is not resolved because the suggested action did not work or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

• Mark
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Kimberly,

Thanks for the quick response. I did consult the instructions first but it seems what I missed entirely is that the plug in creates two areas for Classifieds in the admin. That was causing me a lot of confusion but now I see it!

Regarding the second question, okay that is kind of what I figured. Just making sure I wasn't missing something else. Thanks.

• webezy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi,

I've just install classifieds but can't find menu where to add and edit categories and tags.

Mark mentioned "plug in creates two areas for Classifieds in the admin"

This is not the case for me. Can you help?

• webezy
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi PC,

Classifieds>Categories does not exist. But I found the problem. I deactivated all my plugins and the one I least expected was the problem. The WPMU DEV Videos plugin conflicts with Classifieds plugin on my install.

See screenshots.

Thx Peter

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Oh that is cool.. So it was the basics then... Whenever we have problems, de-activate all the plugins and then reactivate them one by one to see which one comes up with a problem :slight_smile: Joe tells this all the times and I tend to forget it... Silly me :smiley:

Cheers
    PC

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Everyone,

@the support team, has anyone bothered to flag Arnold in on this problem with the menu conflict?

It seems that PC has indeed confirmed the problem, call it bug, but yet there is no flag to Arnold.

Therefore I am going to go ahead and flag Arnold in here for his comment and to let him know of the probable menu positioning issue between the videos plugin and the Classifieds plugin.

Cheers, Joe

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

HI guys,
    There are a couple of possibilities. If you don't feel like hacking the menu position you can go to Settings | WPMU Dev Videos and change the Menu location to Dashboard or no menu instead of Top Level.

If you want to move the menu through code edit the wpmudev-videos.php file around line 165 where it starts "add_menu_page". At the end of that line change the 50 to some other number, I'd suggest 76 to move it down to the utilities section instead of the posts section.

If you want to move the Classifieds menu go into CustomPress | Content Types | Post Types select classifieds and change the Menu position number to something different.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings mark77210,

It appears this particular topic is now resolved/closed, if you need any further assistance please let us know.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.