Hustle 3.x migration process crashes my install

I can’t update to Hustle 3.x. It’s actually not a new issue, since the release of the version 3, I tried to update, but it completely crash my install, I had to remove the plugin and re-install the former one (2.x).

There was a new version today, thought it might work this time, but exactly the same happened. My website is hosted by WPEngine (so, that’s quite a good hosting) and they had no idea what’s going on, the migration process seems to looping forever and then the server is out of memory.

The issue occurs once the update is done, the plugin starts its migration process.

As you can see above, in the logs, it seems that this migrations is made through WP-Cron.

Please check the log shared in chat.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi TigrouMeow,

That’s an odd issue, this is the error log which seems to be shared in the chats:

PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'Hustle_Module_Model' not found in /nas/content/live/offbeatjapan/wp-content/plugins/hustle/inc/hustle-migration.php

Which seems to point out more of an issue with installation process, or the files getting corrupted during upgrade, could you please check whether you could migrate the plugin from version 2.1.5.1 to version 3.0, and see whether that works?

If yes, you upgrade to latest version once it’s done. You can download the version 3.0 from the Hustle plugin page by clicking the “Changelog” link in here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/hustle/

If you still have issue even after that, or not sure how to perform the changes, then please send us your staging sites credentials, so that we could give a closer look.

You can send credentials by using our secure contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question

– To Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Nithin Ramdas

-WordPress admin username

-WordPress admin password

-login url

-FTP credentials (host/username/password)

-link back to this thread for reference

-any other relevant urls

Please do follow up in the ticket once you have sent the above credentials. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Nithin

• TigrouMeow
    • New Recruit

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I have just sent all the credentials and information through that contact form.

I tried to upgrade, I also tried to install the new plugin directly after removing the previous one. It seems like it goes into an infinite loop somewhere. There is this error in the PHP Error Logs, but I am not sure it’s related to the freezing itself (but might start it, somehow).

Please feel free to do whatever you want on the install I have shared with you, this is my staging and I have no plan to move it to my production env :slight_smile:

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi TigrouMeow,

Thanks for sending in the login credentials. It seems like I don't see Hustle installed in your website, when I check your WP Dashboard. So, I went ahead, and installed the latest version of Hustle to see how the site behaves, and could notice 502 error.

Which normally occurs when the website takes too much time to execute a script. To double check whether it's related to Hustle Pro, or not. I disabled all the plugins, and switched to a default theme to see how it goes.

But the issue still exists which is odd. I checked the server side via SFTP, and enabled debug logs, and disabled mu-plugins, but unfortunately the issue still exists, and the debug logs wasn't getting generated.

This seems more like an issue specific to your server, as I wasn't able to replicate this in my side. Seems like I couldn't access the Server error log of WP Engine, could you please share the error log in the next reply, so that I could check with our developers, and see what exact is going on.

Would appreciate if you could also bring this 502 error to WP Engines supports attention, and ask what exact process, or action is causing the issue in the plugin side too, so that it would give a better idea.

Looking forward to your reply, so that we could help get this sorted asap. Have a nice day ahead. :slight_smile:

Regards,

Nithin

• TigrouMeow
    • New Recruit

Hi,

Thanks for your debug. There is nothing in the PHP Error Logs, there is actually no crash (except the timeout). So I have contacted WPEngine and here is basically what they said:

Yeah I’ve checked everything relating to the 502 errors. With the server load being low and all the 502’s currently coming from the WP-Admin section is definitely is with the plugin. There’s nothing in the error logs that’s being thrown at the moment which is strange but having a look at some of the queries it seems that there are a lot of MySQL queries that are running slow.

SELECT meta_value FROM wp_optin_meta WHERE optin_id = 1 AND meta_key = ‘widget_view’ /* From [offbeatstaging.wpengine.com/wp-admin/plugins.php?activate=true&plugin_status=all&paged=1&s=] in [/nas/content/live/offbeatstaging/wp-content/plugins/hustle/inc/hustle-module-collection.php:240

This query is one that I can see, however, there are many queries coming from that PHP file that is running slow which can lead to a 502.

You’re welcome Jordy, while we cannot see if the SQL queries are looping I can see that the query linked above is running a lot on the site.

So basically, it seems like heavy SQL requests are being run. To me, it looks more like something goes in a loop. To be honest, I would be surprised that the cause would be WPEngine.

I created only three popups with the plugin actually, so there wasn’t much data handled by Hustle. However, I can add another piece of information for you. I have used the plugin Polylang to create a multilanguage website, and I basically create the 3 popups for each language. But it’s just a meta for those popups (post type), so it shouldn’t affect the upgrade.

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi TigrouMeow,

Thanks for getting back to us with further information, this is really an odd behaviour, I tested in one of my WP Engine system, and wasn’t able to replicate this. Seems like this is more of a site specific issue.

I’m escalating this to ticket to Second Level Support(SLS) to see whether they are able to notice any anomalies regarding this, and check what could be done to get the plugin work without any issue.

Please do note that SLS works on more complex issues, and has a slow response time, we’ll keep you updated via the ticket asap.

Regards,

Nithin

• TigrouMeow
    • New Recruit

Sure, thank you, I am looking forward to knowing what you will find :slight_smile: But of course, it works with WPE, and on another install of mine which has basically the same settings. So there is something that goes wrong with this specific install with the migration process.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.