Hustle Dedicated Option for adding GDPR Checkbox

Can we have a dedicated option in Hustle so we can add one or more checkbox(es) (mainly for GDPR) in any popup or slide in?

• roundhouseguys
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hey guys,

I don't mean to be a nudge, but the GDPR deadline is only a couple of days away, and we have lots of clients who need to be compliant. We're hoping to not have to switch popup plugins. Is there no possibility of even a minor release to add a checkbox field?

It seems to me this should be quite simple—even if it's not strictly for GDPR, being able to add a checkbox would allow us to make sure our sites are GDPR compliant!!

Thanks.

• roundhouseguys

Hi again! I must apologize!!

Apparently, I've been misled that adding a checkbox is the strictly necessary thing here—we're able to add simple text that explains explicitly that a user will receive email messages when signing up, and customizing the text in the already available general text area should do the trick.

Don't get me wrong, checkboxes as described by 1337user and others would be totally great and wonderful, but we're good with GDPR. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

• roundhouseguys

I haven't talked to an attorney about this particular facet, no, and indeed in many circumstances an explicit checkbox action would be required, but in some it wouldn't. Take an email newsletter subscription popup, for example—if the only action the popup handles is signing someone up for marketing, and there's clear language stating that by providing an email address (or name, or whatever specific data is being asked for) you're acknowledging that you'll be receiving email communication, the Submit action should be sufficient.

I believe you're right in a different setting, though—In an example where, say, you're offering a "free download PDF" (or the like), there indeed should be a checkbox that lets a user opt in to marketing (and specifically says it), because the popup action is to get to the download (or whatever is being linked to). It should also be noted that GDPR does NOT allow one to block the download if a user does NOT consent. So the checkbox can't be 'required.' If a user wants the download but doesn't want to sign up for email marketing, that's gotta be allowed.

It seems to me there's definitely gray here, but I would imagine in most super basis instances, a case can be made that specifically signing up for something (again, along with plain, clear, obvious language) is action enough.

I've read many different interpretations, and I'm guessing it'll all become clearer as we see the laws implemented.

TL;DRWhile maybe not as 10000% desperately important as maybe we thought, it's still something WPMUDEV has neglected to be outspoken about, which is disappointing, though not surprising. While I love their products and will always recommend their stuff to others, they can be pretty behind the curve when it really counts.

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hey guys, it seems that the new version is about to be passed over to QA soon so we should be seeing it live shortly after that.

I can't really comment much on the subscription popups as I'm not GDPR expert and it might be best to consult this attorney or expert to get the proper information what's needed for your cases.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• Greg
    • Syntax Hero

Dear Predrag,

I just wanted to say that the new release is very important for all of us.
    Thank you for your hard work.

will there also be a way to open the T&S in a popup window using a link in the form ?
    or should I add it manually ?

• Predrag Dubajic
      • Support

Hi Greg,

Could you please elaborate your last question a bit, are you looking to have T&S to open in popup window instead of going to T&S page?
      I'm asking this because I'm not sure how exactly this would look when you enable checkbox in popup, it should have another popup over the existing popup?

Best regards,
      Predrag

• Greg
        • Syntax Hero

Dear Predrag,

You are right, it makes no sense.

In France, we have to have a link on our subscription forms that points to the T&S.

I already have such link in all footers.

However, I am uncertain about pop-ups. I'd like to avoid sending readers to another tab while they are subscribing. This would be a real conversion killer...

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hello Greg

If the tab with the "main popup" wouldn't be closed and T&S would be opened in a separate browser tab it shouldn't be that bad, I think. To be perfectly honest, I bet that majority of the user will actually not even bother to click and read the T&S... As far as I understand GDPR is no necessarily about "forcing users to read/know about T&S/privacy/rules" but rather about providing a clear explanation and a simple way to get familiar with it if they want to do it :slight_smile:

My point is that opening "popup within popup" might actually be even more "annoying" for users than going to another page, that's just my personal thought tho...

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.