I added a sidebar to bp-social and my site went blank.

I added a left sidebar to my Activity page. The sidebar contained the Upcoming Events widget from the just updated Events + plugin. When I went to view the page, from the View Page option on the edit form, my browser window went completely white. I tried going to my dashboard, but that page is a completely white browser window also. It seems that my site has completely been replaced by all white pages. Do you have any ideas of what I can do to restore things to normal?

• Mike
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Please disregard the previous. I found the page I had modified in my browser cache and was able to get things back to normal from there. But I guess I'd still like to know if you have any idea of what the (*^&*% I did to cause the result I got?

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hey there @Mike

I hope you are well today!

I think the first thing we'd need to know is: how did you add the new sidebar to that page in the theme?

Did you modify the template or create your own in a child-theme? If so, we would need to see the code you used to create the sidebar.

Have you similarly added sidebars to other templates? If so, do they work expected?

• Mike
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

You're fast Patrick. I modified the the default template. And I've tried using all of the other templates available for this theme.

However, between my post and your reply, I remembered that I hadn't tried one page: my static front page. And that page is displaying sidebars correctly.

Mike

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

I think you had an error in your file. If it happens next time, please enable debug mode.

To enable debug mode please edit a line in your wp-config.php:
    Change

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

to

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

It will display the error in stead of blank page.

As the original issue is fixed, I am marking this thread as resolved, But, please feel free to reopen if you have any more issues on the same.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.