I added wp-smush-pro to www.sobeys.com hoping it would bulk

I added wp-smush-pro to http://www.sobeys.com hoping it would bulk "Smush" images and start automatically serving optimized version (i.e.: by detecting screen size or improving the size of referenced images) but I am not seeing any difference despite the plugin confirming it has shrunk files. See attachments.

If this plugin won't work how do I remove all of the images it created? I don't see any option. The media library now is barely accessible - very slow due to the size of how many images exist so I want to know if there is a way to remove them without accidently deleting the originals. I did select "Keep a backup" option before bulk operation.

We're on WP Engine if that helps at all and I've cleared our caches (CDN, page, etc.) to ensure it isn't related to that.

• Jason Parks

PS: I might just be confused by what the plugin is meant to do. Does it serve re-sized images based on device screen-size or just shrink images in general? If it doesn't serve based on screensize then is there a plugin that I can add to do this too?

Lastly, the image above says it was shrunk by 26% but it is still the same size when I look via FTP. I also don't see a backup and noticed some images for some reason couldn't be smushed as per screenshots. I am wondering if this might have been one of them but I have to review all the images to get a sense if they were shrunk.

• Sajid

Hi @Milan

Hope you are doing good today and welcome to WPMUDEV :slight_smile:

I added wp-smush-pro to http://www.sobeys.com hoping it would bulk "Smush" images and start automatically serving optimized version (i.e.: by detecting screen size or improving the size of referenced images) but I am not seeing any difference despite the plugin confirming it has shrunk files.

Smush Pro plugin has nothing to do on frontend with displaying images. It will only reduce the size of your images automatically without loosing the image quality. It will not detect image size and serve smaller images, because its not designed to do this job.

To restore backup images, plugin save each image with .back at the end of each image. You can deletect all others and leave these images. I am also flagging developer here to shed some light on this issue.

Take care and have a nice day :slight_smile:

Cheers, Sajid

• Jason Parks

Cheers Sajid - apologies - a misunderstanding on my part about what the plugin did. I can see it has renamed images after reducing them such that the versions now being served are smaller while we still have the .back copies in case they're needed.

No issues then - thanks!

Does WPMU recommend any plugins for helping dynamically generate and serve optimally sized version of images? Like for mobile or a medium on the front of a website? Currently our website is serving images at the uploaded size so I just wanted to ask before closing this ticket.