I am attempting to import a Snapshot to a subsite

I am attempting to import a Snapshot to a subsite on a multisite installation, but the snapshot plugin is not available on the subsite (although I have network activated the plugin). I attempted to speak to live support and here is the conversation:

christopherat 1:40 pm
I am attempting to import a Snapshot to a subsite on a multisite installation, but the snapshot plugin is not available on the subsite (although I have network activated the plugin)

Michelle Shullat 1:42 pm
Hi Christopher - you should see it on all your subsites, but if you don't, try Network deactivating, then install on the site you're backing up and the site where you want to import the backup.

christopher
christopherat 1:46 pm
hmm...I do not see it on the subsites and I don't have the option to install plugins directly on subsites

Michelle Shullat
Go to Settings > Network Settings and scroll all the way down and check the box next to plugins.

christopher
christopherat 1:51 pm
I checked the box for Plugins at 'Enable administration menus' and made sure the plugin was network activated, but it is still not showing on the subsite

Michelle Shullat 1:51 pm
Christopher, if a plugin is not network activated, (other than snapshot) will it show up in the Plugins > Installed plugins page?

Michelle Shull
Michelle Shullat 1:52 pm
On a subsite, not on the network dashboard, sorry, should have been more clear with that question for Christopher above.

christopher
christopherat 1:53 pm
I see one plugin in the subsite, but have many plugins on the main network

Michelle Shullat 1:53 pm
Chris - is that a network deactivated plugin you see on the subsite?

Michelle Shullat 1:54 pm
Esthetic and Christopher - let's have you both open a thread. I'm seeing everything with Snapshot work okay either way on my network, there's got to be something wonky happening on both of your sites.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi christopher,

Snapshot works bit differently under Multiste. The interface is only seen under the Network admin area. From there the super admin can select to backup any site individually. You can also schedule regular backups. Plus the backups and meta information are all stored under the primary site instead of being in the options table and uploads folder or each sub site.

So you will not see Snapshot on subsites, only in network admin. From there you can set which subsite you want to back up.

hope this will help,
    kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi christopher,

You can do this like a normal import and restore. Go to Snapshot -> Import. Note that if you are importing from a remote server, the remote archive must by publicly accessible as this import process does not yet support authentication.
    Once you have successfully imported your remote archive or scanned your local folder, you’ll see a success message with the import results.
    From the All Snapshot list then you can restore imported snapshot to subsite. You just need to edit new snapshot and choose blog you want to restore in.
    However - this is still beta version of this functionality, so be sure that you have backup before you restore archive.
    Also best not to include the plugins though when you create the snapshot, but instead install those plugins on the multisite beforehand.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• christopher
    • New Recruit

I have attempted to import the .zip file that snapshot created without the themes or plugins to the main site and I get this error:
    ---------------------------------------------
    PHP max_execution_time: 900s

Attempting to download remote file: https://www.dropbox.com/1drgync1wtlee5/removedforprivacy.zip

Processing archive: removedforprivacy.zip (109.68kb)
    Error: Manifest data not found in archive.

Snapshot import complete
    ---------------------------------------------

Even though it says "Snapshot import complete" it does not show up in All Snapshots.
    If you would like to see the actual file link, I'd be happy to share privately.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hi christopher,

Can you check if this zip file is in Dropbox Public folder? I've had similar issue, though I created link to share.
    If this is not the problem, you can send message for me through our contact form
    Subject: "Attn: Kasia"
    Select "I have a different question" for your topic - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

cheers,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Dear christopher,

I'm using for this Dropbox mac application - I'm not sure if this still relevant, but I have quite old Dropbox account - when I have snapshot file in root Dropbox folder I have option "Share link to Dropbox"* and this link don't work with import. But when I moved snapshot file to Public Folder in Dropbox I have option "Copy public link"* - and this link works with import.
    For now I don't have more ideas why this could not work :slight_frown:

*I'm translating options to English but they should be similar

cheers,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.