i am confused as to plugins vs. buddypress

i'm confused. there are a number of plug-ins not here, like 'Avatars' 'Membership (list your members visually might be another name)', 'Chat', 'Site Categories', all of which seem to imply a more graphical, (which I like) relationship with the site.

however, some of them seem to conflict with BuddyPress, or are not supported. I tried to install 'Avatars' for example and my entire BuddyPress blanked out.

weird.

anyway, i'm looking for smooth stability in a major social network that incorporates many sites, eCommerce, pro sites, the whole deal. i'm striving to understand why I would or would not use these plugins in lieu of BuddyPress and what functions properly.

thanks in advance :slight_smile:

• Tyler Postle

Hey again Griffin :slight_smile:

Avatars isn't compatible with BuddyPress because BP already has avatar functionality built in, so it isn't needed.

Same with Members Directory. BuddyPress already gives you a Members Directory.

Chat and site categories should work fine with BuddyPress - infact, chat actually integrates with BuddyPress and allows for 1 on 1 chats with friends :slight_smile:

Are you wondering why you would use Members Directory and Avatars instead of BuddyPress? It really comes down to how much functionality you need. BuddyPress is a full featured social network plugin and Members directory + Avatars is just a nice light plugin to give a list of your members on the front end.

Based on the sounds of your project I think that BuddyPress is the better choice to be honest - you are wanting that more social network feel.

hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.