I am confused by whether I want the Pro Sites plugin,

I am confused by whether I want the Pro Sites plugin, Membership, or Both. It is a buddypress, and maybe multisite but I dont think that will be necessary at this stage.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish:
The basic premise of the site will be an art competition, where users can upload their art for review by peers and experts.

There are 3 levels of accounts:
User (free, open to anyone, able to provide a simple score other people's art (like/dislike) but no ability to upload own art or leave comments on other's art)
Artist - paid, able to upload video/pictures of their art, comment on the work of other artists, and score art on a more complex rating system than "Users"
Ambassador - paid at different level, able to upload art access to finalists based on User and Artist Reviews,. unrestricted ability to comment, etc otherwise

Memberships seems to be oriented to restricting access to content, not necessarily functions. ProSites seems to control access to some functions, though the scope of them seems to be pre-defined for a site like edublogs, not necessarily the types of features I listed above.

I hope that makes sense.
Ed

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi @Edgar

Welcome to the forums!

First of all, if you are not running a multisite installation of WordPress, the Pro Sites plugin will be of no use to you at all.

Pro Sites is designed to enable/disable features & functionality of sub-sites in a WordPress multisite network. It will simply not work on a single site install.

However, the Membership plugin can be used for the scenario you describe. Its function is to limit/grant access to site content, and that content can be anything, including pages with various content submission forms for your users.

For example, you could have a page set up on your site with the art upload form and restrict access to that page to only users on a certain access level and above.

You could similarly limit access to categories, URL groups, comment forms and a whole bunch of other stuff too.

As for the different types of ratings, assuming their front-end components are shortcode-generated, you can wrap the different types of ratings forms in Membership access level shortcodes so the appropriate ones display for each access level. For example:

[level-level-1]
    ...rating form "A"...
    [/level-level-1]
    [level-level-2]
    ...rating form "B"...
    [/level-level-2]

...etc...

• Patrick
    • Support Monkey

Hi again @Edgar

Can it also be used to restrict access to functions on a content page, such as commenting or rating? Thanks, Ed

Whoops, looks like you may have missed the last paragraph in my reply above. You can wrap any on-page content on those shortcodes to limit access to that content to the access levels specified by the shortcodes used.

You'll find the access level shortcodes automatically generated each time you create/edit an access level (screenshot)

And you're welcome, by the way. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.