I am continuing to have problems with sitemeta and options tables

The problems seem to never end. I keep having intermittent problems just trying to go to the plugins page in network/admin. Sometimes I can get there, sometimes not. If I get there sometimes I am able to update plugins sometimes not. I have NO users and no traffic. Does any one have an idea of why this type of issue could be occurring? It results in memory issues but that is NOT the problem, that is a symptom.

Error log is attached.

thanks for any help.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and thanks for your question.

Looks like the main issue is the MySQL has gone away, which normally means that the connection is established, but MySQL drops the connection because it starts to take too long, this could be down to a massive query, or the timeout in mysql config files is too low.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

From your error log that's all I'm seeing with the MySQL has gone away, so when your going either trying to do an update, a query is timing out possibly.

Do you have a .log file rather than a .txt, It'll make it easier to read, what happens when you set WP_DEBUG to true?

What is your MySQL timeout set to?

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and sorry about the delay on this.

Can you add the following to your wp-config.php above the line reading "That's all stop editing, Happy Blogging!"

define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

That should output a debug.log to your wp-content directory and prevent any of the debug outputting on the front-end of the site.

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Danny
    • The Incredible Code Injector

This isn't related to the lines of code you suggested I add to wp-config.

When I go into the main WP dashboard on first logging in none of the drop downs show on the top admin bar. If I click on Howdy, username it goes to the profile page and then the dropdowns show. So something is now wrong with the display on first entry.

• Danny

Well if I could get to that page I would grant access. Right now it is having the problem with sitemeta and options tables that results in out of memory condition. It has been error free for a few days and this just started happening a few minutes ago when I logged in. Plus it seems to have lost anti splog settings as well.

I will notify you if and when I am able to grant access.

• Danny

I did notice one thing that I will experiment with later. When I logged into the GSB247 network I was already logged into another multisite network on my machine.This is when I had problems with the sitemeta and options tables and the resultant out of memory condition. When I just logged in again to GSB I was logged out of that other multisite network and had no problems. Is it possible that you cannot be logged in to two multisite networks at the same time?

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there @Danny,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

Is it possible that you cannot be logged in to two multisite networks at the same time?

It shouldn't be technically, the only possibility is some form of browser cache/cookie issue.

I've just tried to check the install, but get a

Sorry, this is an invalid access token. You must ask the user to grant access.

Sorry about that, could you revoke the access and re-grant please?

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Danny,

Thanks, it's working now, I've been taking a look and it all seems to work fine for me.

I could always access the plugins page, but I did notice you have quite a few plugins installed, having that amount of plugins, will cause general slowdown, I'd also advise against using caching plugins and would instead recommend a CDN network and possibly even varnish cache (server side).

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Danny

thanks, the db problem only seems to occur when I am logged into multiple networks at the same time, although it doesn't always cause a problem. At least not today.

My ISP recommends using caching. Sure I would like to use a CDN. Do you have a free one in mind? :slight_smile:

There are a lot of plugins. If I used all the plugins I see recomended by Raeline and other WPMU posts I would have hundreds more installed. It is pretty hard to create a small business solution without having a certain number of plugins to supply all the needed functionality.

thanks for your help

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Danny,

Hope you're well today, CDN wise, I personally would recommend MaxCDN though it isn't free and most CDN's aren't :slight_smile: Or Amazon s3 is a solid option.

Error log wise, your database is timing out still, which is when your running a snapshot, if the snapshot is running and your trying to work on the site, it's causing the issue.

If you only run the snapshot when your not going to work on the site, everything should work fine.

Also including @Ashok

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hi there

As far I am aware of this is the timeout issue in the mysql server. As you said this happens when you are logged in two multisite together.

I assume that you are using a VPS and using more than one multisite using vhosts. So both sites are sharing same resources. And in that case, mysql server can not take the loads.

It happens, when I bought a small VPS package from DigitalOcean my mysql kept crashing in every 30 mins though I had only one multisite installed.

I am not a server guy but with a general idea, you need to increase your memory and increase the max execution time.

If that helps.

Cheers
    Ash

• Danny

If you are referring to my.cnf, here are the values:

[mysqld]
    tmpdir=/dev/shm
    tmp_table_size=256M
    read_buffer_size=4M
    sort_buffer_size=4M
    join_buffer_size=1M
    open_files_limit=5626
    query_cache_size=64M
    max_connections=100
    max_user_connections=25
    wait_timeout=20
    max_heap_table_size=123M
    thread_cache_size=64M
    key_buffer_size=128M
    max_allowed_packet=16M
    table_cache=768
    table_definition_cache=3072
    slow_query_log=1
    log_output=TABLE
    long_query_time=5
    innodb_file_per_table=1
    innodb_buffer_pool_size=123M
    innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=30M
    innodb_log_buffer_size=30M
    innodb_thread_concurrency=4

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.