I am experimenting

I am experimenting with Autoblog. I'm successfully pulling feeds into member activity feeds. However, the description said it worked with BuddyPress so I was expecting it could also work with Groups. So far I don't see that it does.

What I want to do is import an RSS feed and have it post to a Group activity feed rather than an individual user activity feed. Is there a way to make Autoblog do this or fake a workaround to get this result?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paul,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I'm a bit confused with your question, I admit. The Autoblog is fetching the content of a feed and then posting items as posts. Post, as it always is with WordPress, is assigned to an author. Such posts should indeed appear in user's activity feed as it's the same as if a user "manually" created the post.

There's however no integration with BuddyPress in that sense that plugin directly hooks to BuddyPress functions. I'm not quite sure to which part of the plugin description you are referring so could you point me to it please?

I'm asking this only to get a better picture of the setup and on what you wish to achieve so I could seek for a solution for you.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Paul

HI, thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I understand that the way this is set up the RSS will look like a Post from the selected username. That's working nicely.

What I was looking for was a similar approach but for a BuddyPress Group. You know how on a Group there's a "Home" page which is group activity. And on that, you can post from the Group Home page using the 'What's new in this group, Username?' post box. When you are on this group page and post from there, my understanding is that this post goes into the group activity stream and is picked up in the members activity streams. If you just post as a user outside of the group home page, your Friends may see this post, but it won't show up in the activity stream of the groups you are a member of nor will other non-friend group members get the post.

So, what I want to do is have RSS feeds posting that are group related show up on the group home page and be picked up by group members. Say you had a group about Porsche cars. I want all the RSS feeds about Porsche to go to that group. People go to the group as a resource and get all the Porsche information.

This seems technically the same as attributing posts to a user ID, but instead need to be attributed to a group-id. I was experimenting to see if I could work around by posting to a group member, but per above, that does not appear to get it on the group activity stream.

Make sense? Thoughts? Workarounds?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Paul,

Thank you for getting back to me with an additional explanation.

The Autoblog plugin can only add content to the site as posts and these are associated with users. However, BP group activity feed does not include WP posts added by group members so that will not work. One way to overcome that would be to create some custom code based on native WP functions and some BuddyPress filters that would add these posts of group members to group activity feed.

I think however there may be a simpler workaround. There's a "Blog Categories for Groups" plugin that's supposed to pull posts from selected categories to a group. Autoblog's feed can also be set to post specific posts to specific categories so I think it should be possible to:

- create some special categories for posts (.e.g "Porsche")
    - set Autoblog feeds to post to these categories (e.g. all feeds related to Porsche to be added to "Porsche" category)
    - and then set Blog Categories for Groups plugin to pull selected categories to selected groups (like posts from "Porsche" category to groups related to Porsche).

I think you may want to give it a try. You will find the plugin here:
    https://buddydev.com/plugins/blog-categories-for-groups/

Once you give it a try, let me know if that would work for you please.

Best regards,
    Adam